femjumper

*Best way to learn is ask the instructors right?*

I graduate with my 1ST Bachlors Sept the 11TH. My graduation present to myself,,, Sky diving! I have always wanted to do this.

Others in my class have decided to "jump on the band wagon" and want to do this as well. We are teasing the professors, that we are going jump in our caps and gowns.. (JOKE);)

I do have some questions though if at all possible,,,

Needing to know how long or short should a beginner class be?

In the 1ST class do we have the option to jump solo or tandem?

Do not get me wrong, We as a group are now seeking out a good jump school in the local area.

With Gross anatomy classes though; we do not have time to actually go check things out 1ST hand, IM fitting this posting in between homework now lol

As soon as finals are down this semester. I will be knocking on hanger or barn doors to talk to whoever in person.

Please help out if possible,.,. I have many questions..

S.

Probably better in general skydiving or searching as this has been covered times.

Afaik (not an expert dont quote me).

AFF Ground School ~6 hours.

Tandem Ground School ~2 hours?

Usually you pay for one or the other as the amounts differ (not by a great deal).

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Tandem ground school is often as short as 5-10 minutes, but is often longer so that they can give you a sales pitch so that you buy pictures and video.

AFF ground school is sometimes as short as 4 hours, but usually closer to 6.

Static Line is somewhere in between.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Tandem ground school is often as short as 5-10 minutes, but is often longer so that they can give you a sales pitch so that you buy pictures and video.

Maybe at a tandem factory. Our course is 30 minutes at the very least and we don't use this time to pitch vid.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

pick me!
Pick me!
I know the answer because it was covered in a course (Canadian Skydive School Instructor) last weekend.

The Canadian Sports Parachuting Association recommends a minimum of 4.5 hours for an IAD or static-line first jump course. That varies depending upon how quickly students "get it." Slower students need more ground instruction.

AFF first jumps take longer, more like 7 to 9 hours.

Tandem ground school can take as little as 15 minutes, but 30 minutes is closer to the norm.

he Canadian Sports Parachuting Association recommends a minimum of 4.5 hours for an IAD or static-line first jump course. That varies depending upon how quickly students "get it." Slower students need more ground instruction.

AFF first jumps take longer, more like 7 to 9 hours.

No kidding?

For my first AFF jump (first ever jump) in NZ I turned up at the DZ maybe 8 or 9 in the morning and was in the air around 2 in the afternoon.

I've been involved with shipping a lot of S/L students to our local UK DZ these past two years and they go from 9 through till at least 6 in the evening. I thought thats the way it was everywhere.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If this is going to be a one-time thing...go Tandem with 15-30 instruction...oh and DO get the video. You won't regret it.

If you are planning on continuing skydiving you may want to go with one of the other methods of training and instruction - Instructor Assisted Deployment (IAD), Static Line, Accellerated Freefall (AFF) etc. Some Dropzones offer all methods, some specialize in one or the other. Call the local DZ for detailed info.

I personally suggest (and others will suggest differently) that even if you plan on continuing, that you consider doing a Tandem first...you may find that it scares the crap out of you and you may not want to do it ever again! Plus, it gets the "First Jump Jitters" out of the way for when you do continue on with individual training.

Good luck.
Keep studying and get that degree!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You know what, I have to edit that. We start the first tandem class at 9AM and I don't show up to shoot video until 10AM and they're still in the class.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Thank you!!! So far on the information.. I gave the others in my gross anatomy class this website address..

The group of us that are wanting to this are becoming excited about this. Some are wanting to do the 1 time jump.. Others are thinking about taking it up as a hobby more like an addiction! lol

One of the professors has told us about "winged suit jumping" That must be a rush from hell.. :$

But alas cant run before i learn to crawl. ;)