shawnstarr

hand-cam gear???

i'm getting set up for tandem handcam this season.

best glove?? pros vs cons (cookie, waycool, or riggerbob)
anybody else make them?
best lens? .2, .25. or .3
do the snap on lens work or should i go for the diamond or waycool lens.

appreciate any advice from experienced T/I video jumpers out there. thanks
------------------------------------------------
'I refuse to tiptoe quitely through life
only to arrive safely at death' Anon

I have only used .25 but anything narrower would be too narrow IMHO. any glove is good as long it is comforable, fits the camera and stands the camer up. those lying down ones are shitty you get a sore neck watching the footage!

oh and your openings will be more interesting!:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have both a Seimax .42 and a liquid .3 and I find there is practically no difference between them. It comes down to putting trying the lens you like and seeing how good it is. There are many cost effective options that are just as good.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

We just put the cam-Eye on our gloves. They work great and makes the job alot easier. We just have the waycool gloves and they will put the cam-eyes in for you. make sure you get the right size for you.

Neither of us here use a CamEye at all as we both feel it's simply not needed in a glove. I first do my "setup" shots with the camera out of the glove. I do the rigging with the camera sitting on a table facing us. I do the "walk to the plane interview" holding the camera in my hand. I do the "in plane" interview the same way; holding the camera. I don't put it in the glove till after hooking up. I turn it on and hit record the last time as I am sliding to the door. I video the entire time after that until after I land and fast forward past some of the canopy ride while I have a still displayed on the linear edit board. It's amazingly simple stuff. I seriously cannot see why you would want a CamEye on your glove. That would mean, in my case, having to plug in the LANC as you were putting the camera in the glove. That is a waste of time in my opinion when I can more-quickly just slide the thing in there on "standbye" just prior to moving to the door and hit "record" and check for my light as I am sliding down the bench.

You guys using the CamEye must be carrying the entire glove around in your hand when you do the ground stuff and in-plane interviews.

Chuck

Chuck

I started to use the cameye after a couple of "camera mal's". The main reason being that I have trouble seeing the red light through the plastic on bright days. What it does mean though is that I can turn the camera on and off under canopy without doing gymnastics :P and I can conserve battery / tape on long work days.

I have also had a student bring their arms out quick enough and hard enough twice to shock the camera into turning off. With the cameye I just watch the pretty light.:ph34r:
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

the best handcam glove on the market is a waycool upright glove. they are made solid and unlike anyother glove out there it is the only one that i have seen that doesn't shake in freefal. As for the lense you can' go wrong with a .25 lense, anything wider is to wide. You get everything you need with a .25. Having done over 400 H/C jumps with a waycool setup i wouldn't go anything else

My riggerrob glove is very well made and doesn't shake at all.

I use the waycool .25 lens and I love it.

Mine doesn't shake either, but I can see where one might if you put a camera in there that was not designed for the glove (too small a camera). Mine was purpose-built for my PC-109. I really do like the neoprene WayCool gloves too though.

I started to use the cameye after a couple of "camera mal's". The main reason being that I have trouble seeing the red light through the plastic on bright days. What it does mean though is that I can turn the camera on and off under canopy without doing gymnastics :P and I can conserve battery / tape on long work days.

I still must be missing something here. Are you saying that you have a CamEye on your glove in a position where you can activate it with your left hand? Not reach across and hit the button with your right hand? I can see that as working, sort of, but the only place I can imagine it being mounted so you could do that would be on the "index finger side" of the glove near the big knuckle. If that's where you have it, then I could see endless posibilities where a student or you, yourself could hit the button and knock your camera back on standby. If you are saying it's somewhere else and that you do, in fact, have to reach across and hit the button with your right hand, then You are doing just as much "gymnastics" as I am.

Once again, I only put my camera back in the glove after hooking up the passenger and when I do finally put in in there, it's already on "standbye". All I have to do is reach around the passenger with my right hand and hit my record button. I can see my red light just fine in my Rob Warner-built glove.

To each his own. So long as we get the video, eh? I would like to see a pic of your setup, on your wrist.

Chuck

I just bought a PC 1000, waycool blackeye x, and cookie upright glove. i chose cookie because my friends waycool upright didn't angle back to the student enough and you had to bend your arm to film.

the blackeye x on the pc 1000 caused some vignetting on the bottom but it is wide enough where I can get the students toes in the picture. maybe should have gone with a standard blackeye.

i agree with skymonkee with the cam i. being also a conventional camera flyer for 14 years, cam eye has not proven to be a reliable solution for me.

You go tthe right point. Its above the thumb. It requires a bit of a twist on the thumb to activate and I haven't had any problems with it. I like being able to turn it on/off under canopy from any angle and the security of seeing the light in freefall
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

OK...Got my Cookie glove in...not bad. I wish they had better quality neoprene. seems like beer coozie stuff. Way cool had like 6mil thick rubber but the angle was bad. I think the Rob glove will last longer being made of cordura but who wants to wait 4 weeks.

Waycool might be angled back now...they just dont answer e-mail.

josh

You must go thru alot of tapes? If you tape the hole canopy ride

Actually, I don't do enough hand cam that it makes any difference how much tape I use. Likewise, we don't pay for tapes at our school. Furthermore, I back-up and tape over stuff once it's backed up on our hard drive. Ultimately, no, I don't go through many tapes. B|

Chuck

I use a glove from riggerbob, good glove and good price, i have had no problems. Use a diamond .3 could go to a .25... cameye helps when under canopy to prevent unwanted footage.
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com