Kimblair13

Tandem Exits

guess it's not only the camera guy's job to get the "shot". I think the tandem instructor and the camera person should work together as a team.

very good point.

i hope some of these 'i do it my way and you get the shot' ass shoters are listening.:P
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

From the Otter I do a poised, into the Relative Wind exit, unless the passenger specifically wants a flip or two.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the customer requests flips, I respond: "Sure. Keep your eyes open and tell me how many we did. Hee! Hee!" Then I do my usual, boring, stable exit.
Truth is, most students are so overwhelmed that they cannot tell the difference between stable and flipping exits.If they are bright enough to recognise a stable exit, I just go "ho hum" and start harnessing the next student.
If they ever complain to management, management will tell them that unstable exits are unprofessional, dangerous and not part of our regular program.

I guess it's not only the camera guy's job to get the "shot". I think the tandem instructor and the camera person should work together as a team.

The TM's first responsibility is to the passenger's comfort and safety. I've taken some very nervous people who need a stable, head high exit, right out of the manual. I have some camera people who do great jobs from front float and get the face shot, I have some that work the rear of the door and get my butt. Never had a passenger complain either way.

dive out exit or head up doesn't make a difference - what i found was a lazy exit caused most of any problems i had - my exits greatly improoved when i took charge of the exit and not let the student's body position make the exit - make your legs put you out in the wind were you want to be

Don't lump all the blame on the TI...if it's really that important to the vidiot they could always learn to front float the exit to get a face shot...;)

I could only find one example of the type exit I do out of the PAC...you can view it at RealXStream with ID #85315. Really any video of me on there doing a tandem will show how I exit...only some of the videos are mislabeled, but if the TI is wearing a yellow hard helmet and yellow pants/jumpsuit that's me.

I've found that, unlike I stated earlier in this thread, that I cannot do the same type exit out of the otter due to the lack of a second step under the door...instead I just do a diving exit most of the time and a poised for special circumstances.

edit - ID #17588 shows a better exit, if anyone's interested...
Miami

I reffered to that case as well
"(except when I have some extremly screwed up passenger...)"
Working as a team means the camera person should recognize those situations and don't expect the best shot. As an Tandem instuctor these cases I normally let know my camera person my priority will be to save my own and my "cargo's" ass and secondary to give him or her a good shot.
Also I truly belive that on the tandem jump the camera guy should show just as much responsibility as the instrructor since she or he just as much part of the skydive.
And one more thing...The end-credits in the movies normally starts with the actors and actresses and then furher down comes up the canera crew. This means the "GOOD SHOT" requires good acting (work with the camera dudeas an TM-I) not only a good camera staff.
BlueS! -Laszlo-

I could only find one example of the type exit I do out of the PAC...you can view it at RealXStream with ID #85315. Really any video of me on there doing a tandem will show how I exit...only some of the videos are mislabeled, but if the TI is wearing a yellow hard helmet and yellow pants/jumpsuit that's me.

Hmmm, I must say that that's the first time I've actually stuck in there long enough to wade through RealXtremes horrid user interface. That's five wasted minutes of my life I'll never get back...

It did clear up the questions I had about the exit you were talking about though.

SkydiveAllegan.com

From the Otter I do a poised, into the Relative Wind exit, unless the passenger specifically wants a flip or two.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If a student specifically requests flips out of an Otter or King Air, I respond: "Any sissy can do flips! The real challenge is doing cart wheels!"
Then I do my usual exit: stable, head-high, facing the propeller. I toss the drogue after one second, then throw in a bunch of fast turns while we are still on the hill."
Hah!
Hah!
We both get what we want from this exit.
The student gets the scare he asked for, but I avoid the unstable exits, which scare me.

I am junior at the tandem business with 100+ tandems but I do as I was told... clean, stable, nice head up, belly to relative wind exits. I consider unstable exits exciting and cool for the jumpmaster and not necessary for the students.
In my opinion the primary responsibility of the tandem jumpmaster is to bring down the student in safe and secondary is to give them an exciting lifetime experience... the good footage comes third.
I believe that the experience is what we live and not the footage... the video footage is only a trigger to bring back the feelings of the exciting moments.

You need to clarify what scary means to you. Is the TI using the Drouge to get stable or is the TI fliping on every exit and if so what type of aircraft is in use???? See were I am going with this?? As a rule stable exits require possative launch meaning the instructor pushes himself and passenger into the relative wind. some aircraft are not well suited for these type exits and take more time to understand the best exit procedures. What works on 1 may only cause more instability on others. If you beleave an Instructor is unsafe you should address it with your S&AT and DZO giving specific examples and video where available.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

182 right foot right foot over the top. 206 cargo roll out 206 front door same as 182. otter any way I want to. King Air front flips gainer poised . Caravan same as otter. listen if you can get out there and stable within 5 seconds youve done nothing wrong. if you do flips on purpose they are not unstable. if you do them because they just happened then you suck. We all have an exit from time to time that is uncontroled the differance is those who are comfortable with exits other than poised are more likely to flow right to stability rather than freak out.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421