tqsmile

Tandem Systems question

Hi, I would like to here from experienced Tandem Masters their feelings about the following Tandem systems.. Strong, Vector and Sigma
Could you tell me which system you prefer and why..
I am looking at investing in a rig and just want to hear the feelings out there about the said rigs.
I jump Strong and Vector
TQ
B|
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com

If you do a search you'll find other threads about this. You'll see folks that love the Sigma for the safety innovations and others that love the Racer for the low weight, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my personal experience and opinion is that he Sigma is WAY better than the Vector 2 (which I first trained on) largely because of the positioning of the drogue. When I came to buy I bought a Racer. I have never jumped a Strong....... happy hunting
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I find strong to be a lazy freefall once the drouge is out, looks bet with a cameraperson in front, but the shitty tuck flaps are more like flap tucks!

vector 2 has a more comfortable harness for both the instructor and the passenger safer than the strong with reserve deployment capabilites with both hands and although the strong is lazier than the vector, with the vector a more difficult customer can be sorted out by simply straightening your legs, if you opted for vector 2 then i would suggest the next actually, the same system but made much better then the vector 2 with virtualy no velcro!

I have only done 3 jumps on the sigma but it seems to bet the best all round system

this is all my opinion of course!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I don't jump Strong, only the Vector 2 and Sigma. The Sigma is by far the better system. The safety drouge realease system is a huge improvement from any other tandem system. Then you have things like no velcro, better drouge positioning, no main ripcord(can't lose it and don't have to put it away under canopy), better student harness, ect. And now you have the skyhook on them. I think the only downside to the Sigma is the price.

Sigma. Is my #1 choice.

Vector 2 w/ newer style harness for the passenger, is #2 choice.

I don't have a third. But sence you asked about Strong enterprises, Dual Hawk. Well the rental program seems interesting for a new guy just starting out. I don't like the third droug release on the breakaway handle. IMO it's just asking for a mishap. Unlike the sigma/vector2 there is only one side to deploy reserve, and there is no "trap door" or so I have been told. I kinda depend on it both for letting me know the deployment secquence has started, and it looks cool on video/plan with the video flyer. There thats all. Good luck.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I am rated in and jump all three, and like the Sigma best. The Strong comes in at #2 for me out of the systems you listed.

If I were investing in my own tandem gear I would get a Racer...the difference in comfort and weight are insane, so much more like a sport rig. Only a hand full of jumps on the Racer system but the differences are plainly felt from the first jump.
Miami

I have mostly jumped Strong rigs and have found them to be well built, dependable rigs. When I did my conversion training I fell in love with how comfortable and well designed the Sigma is. I think it is clearly a superior rig. I am not nearly as enamoured with the Vector ll. The old Strongs were a very sloppy rig and the vector was probably a superior product, but the newer Strongs have adressed the problems so I would rate the Vector ll third personally from a user's point of view.
From an owners point of view you need to look at price and service. The Sigma is quite a bit more expensive. Compounding that, there are quite a few people out there who claim it is very hard to get service from RWS during high season. No doubt service levels from all manufacturers falls during peak season but I think RWS gets acused of it a bit more.

Comfort depends upon the individual.
Since I have a skinny ass, I found - double wide - Vector leg pads extremely uncomfortable while walking to the airplane.
I never liked first or second generation Strong leg pads. However, current-production Strong leg pads are very comfortable, as comfortable as the rolled-edge leg pads on my Talon 2.
Finally, Racer leg pads are like any other sport rig, a non-issue.

I understand RWS is producing a "Micro Sigma" for 360 reserve and 340 or 350 sigma main. That would be my buy if I had 11 grand to spend.

I have owned strong and sigma and while sticker price is higher on sigma, i have had to replace MUCH fewer spare parts (drogues, bags etc).

Any other buy than a sigma you have to start to think about resale value too.

josh

Thanks to you all,was very informative. It appears that the Sigma is the way to go. Will have to save some more bucks.
Thank you for all the replys
Trevor

Is a brand new Sigma system only 11k US? I have been thinking about getting rated and buying gear. Although probably best to "just use DZ gear" I look to the very experienced TMs who have recently bought their own gear. They are tending to buy Racer. 10k US for container (Tandem Racer), reserve (AngelFire), main (Firebolt) and AAD (Vigil) is pretty tough to beat.

rm