arai

good students vs bad students?

how often do you instructors get either type. I guess this could be subjective as you might have someone that has trouble remaining stable but has a great attitude, but I was curious to hear some of the instructors stories.

I tried my best to pay attention and ask intelligent questions after having read up on the jumps I was going to be doing, personally I felt it helped show that I was taking responsibility for my safety during my jumps. I tried to be informed and make my instructors jobs easier.

I think in the end my work payed off as I passed all pff levels on the first try (I'd been told it doesnt happen that often), and the jumps ended with soft standup landings, usually right beside the instructor. I admit to being proud that I was able to accomplish this but know that I've got thousands of jumps worth of learning ahead of me.

I hope I was able to make it an enjoyable day of work for the instructors at the dz. So far I've gotten positive encouragement from them (though I'm sure thats part of their job) and one instructor remarked "well your doing this about as fast as possible" and has had me downsize canopies already.

I have to thanks all the intructors and operators at Pitt Meadows, they've all been great and helped make my entry into skydiving an easy one. There are a lot of very experienced jumpers who are happy to lend their time to share their sport with a newcomer and for that I'm grateful.

My question for stories came after I was just finishing off my solo coach dives. A student at the dz was a couple jumps behind me in progression and was on his first freefall from 10,000 feet. The instructor I had jumped with most of my jumps was with him. He got unstable pretty quickly and managed to throw both his instructors by 8,000 (his story when he got down was pretty funny). He followed his training and pulled at that point and got down alright. My instructor passed me laughing said "you were too boring, you just jumped and fell stable"

now the student wasnt a bad one, he repeated the jump and did much better the second time. But I imagine you instructors with all these years of training must have had some crazy experiences when teachings us newbies how to fly.

So anyway, thanks to all you poor bastards that jump out of aircraft with people who have no idea what they are doing, your help is much appreciated... now tell me your bowling speeches :P

or maybe give an idea of what makes a good or bad student

-arai-

My sense of the worst type of student is the one who isn't engaged, or engaging. By that I mean:

1) He isn't actively trying to learn the material, and needs to be spoon fed. A good student will listen, process the information, and ask reasonable questions or seek guidance when material isn't understood.

2) He is so quiet that it's impossible to get any read about what he is thinking (or if he is thinking). I like people, and it's just tough as heck to be working with a complete blank. Not productive, and not fun.

It sounds like you were a good student.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

On the topic of students being engaging, how long should it take for a student to overcome the "Oh Shit Factor" and start asking dozens of questions? I ask only because, on my last jump, I barely asked a single question, and managed the jump quite well for it being only my second time in freefall and under canopy. The landing was somewhat ugly, but I blame only myself for not being brushed up on the process of flaring early. I can only assume that I will start asking many more questions on my next jump on the 23rd, but I can't be sure yet if I'm over the "Oh Shit Factor".
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

On the topic of students being engaging, how long should it take for a student to overcome the "Oh Shit Factor" and start asking dozens of questions?

Start developing questions now. Think about the skydive and the information you have been given. read the lesson outlines (if provided). Certainly there are things you don't understand. Begin building a written list now. The next time you are at the DZ, start a session by asking your questions. It may be "Hey, when I exited last time I never saw the plane, how come?" or I know "I was told what to do if I was too far downwind, but I'm not real clear on the point...can you explain it again, specifically helping me figure out what to do in 'this' situation?" It might be a question like "I know you told me to fold the pilot chute this specific way, but why does it matter? What would happen if I messed that up?"

Everybody is overwhelmed at first, and it takes a while to get over the intimidation factor. Much of that can happen away from the DZ when you really have time to review what you are learning.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The ones who don't tip?

I'm sure he is been sarcastic.

I hope so. Its bad enough that AFF students are paying hundreds of dollars to jump, then to expect them to pay you more money for you to do your job?!?

MB 3528, RB 1182

I hope so. Its bad enough that AFF students are paying hundreds of dollars to jump, then to expect them to pay you more money for you to do your job?!?

I tip my masseuse for doing her job, and my bartender, and the gal who cuts my hair, and the guy who brings me pizza, and many others. Skydiving instruction is no more or less a service industry than any of those.

I don't hold it against students who don't tip, but I sure do appreciate it when they do.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I tip my masseuse for doing her job, and my bartender, and the gal who cuts my hair, and the guy who brings me pizza, and many others. Skydiving instruction is no more or less a service industry than any of those.

Tandem joyrides maybe, but I wouldn't put AFF instruction in the same league.

Squeak's an Aussie and I'm Irish. I'm sure both of us find the concept of constant tipping odd. But that's a topic for bonfire/SC.

Tandem joyrides maybe, but I wouldn't put AFF instruction in the same league.

Squeak's an Aussie and I'm Irish. I'm sure both of us find the concept of constant tipping odd. But that's a topic for bonfire/SC.

I definitely agree with you on the constant tipping thing. I'd much rather the system be oriented such that tipping is a rarity for above average service rather than somethign that's expected...but since it's not that way here, I don't mind incoming tips to offset some (small percentage) of my outgoing tips.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)