rredman

PRK Laser Eye Surgery

I am in the process of getting my Class 3 medical done so I can take the Tandem rating course and had an interesting question come up. Six months ago I had corrective laser eye surgery and they have a procedure called "Mono Vision" where they under-correct one eye. Well, here in Canada to pass the class 3 medical you need 20-20 vision with both eyes (I have that) and no worse than 20-40 in one eye. Well, this surgery has given me 20-70 in one eye (so I can read without glasses) and 20-20 in the other. I am wondering if anyone out there has had this procedure done, and how it affected the class 3 medical? I haven't heard back from Transport Canada yet, but I am curious to know if anyone in Canada has tried to put this through, of if anyone in the States has tried through the FAA?

Blue ones,
Ross

i'm a tandem I and have add PRK on one eye, so I have monovision, it took a couple of weeks for the brain to figure it out but I have no trouble driving, skydiving, spotting, etc.

this is a lot better than wearing contacts in both eyes and loosing them when the passenger knocks your goggles off - Houston we have a problem - Uh which way is the DZ

not exactly a legal recommendation but you could take the test wearing one contact in order to have 20-20 in both eyes
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Not sure about Transport Canada's policy, but the FAA developed a bad attitude towards pilots who wear different contact lenses (i.e. one for reading and the other for distance vision) after they had to clean up a messy accident scene.
Two different prescriptions can mess up your depth perception just as you start to flare.

Monovision is crappy for depth perception, particularly night driving. Not the best idea for skydiving either.

I ditto what was said in another post... get fitted with a contact lens for the near eye so that you can see 20/20 with it. Wear it for jumping.

You may want to consider a one day contact... wear it for a day and toss it. Most economical option for part time contact lens wearers and saftest/healthiest option for a post-refractive surgery eye.

Jen (eye doc)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Thanks for the input.. I have been jumping since the procedure was done 6 months ago and have had no trouble with landing/timing of flare etc. If anything my vision seems better than it was wearing contacts.

I will let you know what Transport Canada comes back with.

Ross