Shark

AFFIs - How many AFFs did you make in 2005?

Me? 393. The 348 tandems got in the way. :ph34r:

In how many jumping days... I.E. how many per day?

Between 0 - 8 per day. As long as there is daylight and I have enough time to prep the student and debrief. The most work jumps in a day was 6 AFF and 7 tandems. Some of the tandems were already geared up, having only to introduce myself at the plane. I only jumped 11 months last year, but pretty much everyday. At least 6 days a week. Hopefully I'll have a mid-week "weekend" so I can scuba dive more this summer. B|

So ya'll really don't do many fun jumps uh???

I do enough AFF jumps to make it possible to jump throughout the year with spending a dime out of my pocket.
And as for doing 7 tandems and 6 AFF jumps in 1 day -- I find that you must be one hell of an instructor to properly train and debrief all that in 1 day (Unless you live in Alaska where the sun doesn't go down in the summer)

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

So ya'll really don't do many fun jumps uh???

I do enough AFF jumps to make it possible to jump throughout the year with spending a dime out of my pocket.
And as for doing 7 tandems and 6 AFF jumps in 1 day -- I find that you must be one hell of an instructor to properly train and debrief all that in 1 day (Unless you live in Alaska where the sun doesn't go down in the summer)

Sounds like a smartass remark, but let me qualify.
Some AFFs may have been prep'd by someone else, some I did myself. By Level 7/8 they are more self sufficient. The dive flow prep is easier while each is still put in the harness. How much time do you need to be convinced that someone is proficient in their EPs? Again, you can spend several hours if you want. As for the tandems, most were already trained and some geared up.

Do you feel that I do not adequately train my students?

I don't do many so-called fun jumps like yourself.
I jump everyday and we can get quite busy. I supplement fun jumps with tunnel time. Is that acceptable to you?

How would I know how you train your students -- don't even know you.

I just find it amazing how 'professional skydivers' (the ones that make their living skydiving) are able to do so many jumps in one day and not sacrifice quality for quanity.

Lighten up I am talking in general to all professional skydivers.

I personally train / jump and /debrief my students, the reserve side is there also if it is a 2 instructor jump. We train on the ground until it is perfect(minimum of 20 minutes) gear up with student doing a gear check on their own gear (minimum of 5 minutes usually longer) plane ride and skydive (25 minutes) debrief - talk - video - corrective training if needed and go over what will happen on the next jump.(20 minutes minimum)

Total time for AFF jump--- best time probably 50 minutes usually longer.
I am not a professional skydiver and maybe I spend a little more time training than everyone else because of this -- and I don't do nor do I want to be a meat hauler.

Lighten up Shark I was not directing my post at you personally.

And I have been thrown on the reserve side on a 5 minute call --- but I was there for the debreif w/video.

I am sure there are DZs out there that do things different than mine -- we manifest students when they are ready we are not told they have to be geared up and ready on a 20 minute call.

So how is it at other DZs I am curious

Once again Shark I am not directing this post at you

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

How would I know how you train your students -- don't even know you.

I just find it amazing how 'professional skydivers' (the ones that make their living skydiving) are able to do so many jumps in one day and not sacrifice quality for quanity.

Lighten up I am talking in general to all professional skydivers.

I personally train / jump and /debrief my students, the reserve side is there also if it is a 2 instructor jump. We train on the ground until it is perfect(minimum of 20 minutes) gear up with student doing a gear check on their own gear (minimum of 5 minutes usually longer) plane ride and skydive (25 minutes) debrief - talk - video - corrective training if needed and go over what will happen on the next jump.(20 minutes minimum)

Total time for AFF jump--- best time probably 50 minutes usually longer.
I am not a professional skydiver and maybe I spend a little more time training than everyone else because of this -- and I don't do nor do I want to be a meat hauler.

Lighten up Shark I was not directing my post at you personally.

And I have been thrown on the reserve side on a 5 minute call --- but I was there for the debreif w/video.

I am sure there are DZs out there that do things different than mine -- we manifest students when they are ready we are not told they have to be geared up and ready on a 20 minute call.

So how is it at other DZs I am curious

Once again Shark I am not directing this post at you

Hey Jason

I used to think the same way as you when I worked at a small Cessna DZ on the weekends and Instructed to balance my fun jumping. ;)
Larger DZ have a large student population and require Instructors to work abit harder. Learning new techniques to teach a student and debrief a student is essentail when doing it for as living at a large DZ. Some students do take longer no dout, but they are given plenty of time to comprehend what we are teaching before they go into the air.
The debriefing part doesn't need to be attended by a reserve side because they were there just to assist in holding the student, so the main side could give the proper in air instruction. Some AFF I's like the reserve side to help give signals, but some dont....
Truely not every Instructor that is making alot of AFF jumps and tandem jumps in the same day are under teaching.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com