flipper

Tandem Instructors - Which Canopy

I have approx 150 TM's on SET 400 / Jyro / Hop 330 and my favourite in all conditions and in all ways is the HOP. Smooth flight characteristics and nice toggle pressure all the way through the flare.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I've got a bunch of jumps on Aerodyne A2's and like how they handle and flare, but wish they had dacron linesets.

Really easy toggle pressure and very responsive. (compared to a 384, the only other tandem canopy I've jumped)

I'm pretty new at Tandems, did all my first batch of jumps on an EZ, really heavy toggle pressure and a pain. Have since jumped the RW Sigma and the JumpShack Firebolt 350, both are nice canopies with lighter toggle pressure - the Firebolt has a more dynamic flare (disclaimer - I occassionally work for JumpShack, but that's my honest opinion).
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I have a Firebolt 350 in my rig and absolutely love it. Great, on-heading, soft openings and a terrific swoop with tons of power at the end. I don't think I would ever replace it with anything bigger than a 330.

I have jumped pretty much every tandem main flying in the USA right now except the A2.

Have mostly jumped EZ's and compared to those the Icarus tandem really shines in every way. However I recently observed an Aerodyne A2 making a complete stop/standing up landing, quite heavy master and passenger. It was a normal straight in approach, zero wind condition - AND the DZ was in the mountains at 2500feet ASL!

If the A2 opens well and flies as well as the Icarus that would be a great canopy for sure

The majority of my tandems have been at or above 4000 ft. msl. I've jumped EZs, SETs, Icaruses, and Sigmas. I definetly prefer the Sigmas out of all of those. Little higher toggle pressure, but the flare is great. I like the Icaruses as well, but seen quite a few times where there is little flare in odd conditions.

Cheers,
Travis

Most of my tandems are under Sigma 370's and they are great canopies. Too bad they don't make a 330 or one at least as small as my 350.

I have jumps under Icarus/Precision tandem mains as well and thought that canopy was pretty nice (as far as toggle pressure is concerned), but the openings were less predictable than a Sigma, Firebolt, and certainly an EZ.

EZ's toggle pressure just kicks my ass after about five jumps (I only weigh 155 pounds) if I flare them completely.

The flight concepts tandem canopy I jumped flew almost exactly like an Icarus/Precision 365.

I have seen some really big tandem instructors jump Hop 330's and I really, really liked what I saw with that canopy.

Too bad they don't make a 330 or one at least as small as my 350.

I'm sure you know that one is coming out, though.

As for the original question, I've jumped the Icarus (400 and 365), the A2, the EZ-384, Sigma 370 and the Firebolt.

All in all I would rank them in this order favorite to not so much:

1. Sigma
2. A2
3. Icarus
4. EZ
5. Firebolt

I've discussed my opinions on each before, and obviously this is a lot like discussing what car or truck is the best. There isn't really a true and definite best, its what you prefer and perform the best with.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I started on Set 400s in 2003 and did about 400 jumps on them. I moved to a new dz about half way through last season that uses ez384s and Sigmas. I like the way both of these canopies fly and flare more than the set 400. I like the Sigma best.

On the other hand I saw more lineovers in the last half of last season than in the previous 3 years combined.

and as someone who has pro-packed a few thousand tandem mains without a line over, I'll say... "Manage your lines properly, pro-pack carefully and you'll avoid most malfunctions too".
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I'll say it again, If you want to get rid of "line-overs" ...the answer is very simple...flat pack.

Well that simply ain't true. I'll agree that flat packs aren't as prone to mal when packed badly but to say that you can get rid of line overs with flat packing is just plain wrong.

I love flat packing. I can flat pack large canopies faster than most people can pro pack. I have worked at DZs that exclusively flat pack large canopies over the past 13 years and mals still happen, even line overs.

I know of a basic packing error that will cause a line over on a flat pack.

Bottom line: the cause of line overs is poor packing, not the method of packing.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I have been jumping for 25 years this month and I have never, ever packed a lineover. Not on my own rigs, any of the hundreds of tandems I have packed other than my own, nor any of the probably 1000 student mains I have ever packed using a flat pack or a variation thereof. For that matter, I can't recall ever hearing of a line-over mal'd main at any dropzone I have worked at where mains were flat packed (or roll packed). Actually, I have never, ever packed a malfunction of any type when flat packing.

What I do hear a lot about are the incredible number of tandem mals at super-busy dropzones that PRO pack. I have one good friend (Rob St. John) that experienced 12 in four months at a dropzone he was working at in Nevada. Thanks, but I am with Bill on this one.

Chuck

At busy DZs you get far more variance in pack quality.

I've never packed a line over flat or pro, that doesn't mean they don't happen.

If you would like some annecdotal proof, there was a fatality at Bieseker Alberta (you can find a thread).
The DZ in question flat packed all thier mains... with a packing checklist. 2 mall'd in a row.

Now, once again, I like flat packing. I feel there are alot of benefits to flat packing vs. pro packing.

BUT

I does not eliminate line overs or any other malfunction
Your post only shows that a good flat packer will have less mals than a bad propacker.

BUT

All packs require dilligence

You cannot eliminate malfunctions with packing method, only packing quality.
***disclaimer***
I do, however, strongly believe a flat pack is less prone to packing error. I also believe that Flat packing allows packers to better check lines and catch damage, but I can't agree with Bill claiming it eliminates lines overs. I know, for a fact, it does not.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Whether these were line over type mals is uncertain.

It doesn't matter - we've hijacked the thread and shouldn't have. Anyway, I may have just wanted to publicly disagree with Bill and see what shit that stirred up, (I actually do disagree with him here, but still.....):D
Pete Draper,

I have been jumping for 25 years this month<<<<

Happy birthday!:)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1983794;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter - we've hijacked the thread and shouldn't have. Anyway, I may have just wanted to publicly disagree with Bill and see what shit that stirred up, (I actually do disagree with him here, but still.....)
Sid,

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Whether these were line over type mals is uncertain.

Agreed, just making a counter point to Chuck's comment about places that propack.
It should also be noted that the DZ is now under new and improved (just sucking up [;p]) management.

To bring this thread back on topic, I've found the flare on my Firebolt 396 to be excellent, even with heavy students.

Has anyone flown Flight Concepts Tandem?