crwpj

safety day seminar

i am collecting some of the safety day seminars that our dropzone uses every year and was interested to see what other dropzones are using. what topics are covered and how the information is presented. please pm or e-mail me if you can help, thank you.
blue stuff,
p.j.

[email protected]

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin.
options: it does a body good.

thanks for the link NelKel,
i was actually looking for how other dropzones present information. we all know how to teach a class, but i was wondering if anyone was doing safety day in a "fun" way. when i learned how a bill became a law, it was "fun". i'm just looking to wow the crowd while they learn. sooooo..... watcha got?

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

I'm not an instructor and I've only been to one Safety Day, but this is how it was done last year ...

Five seminars, each about an hour...

1) Hanging Harness/EP review
2) Canopy flight (from spotting through landing safely)
3) Gear and gear maintenance. This was fun - there were three rigs, one of which had no problems, one of which had a few minor things and one of which was totally screwed up... participants had to check the rigs to see how many things they could find wrong with it. This led into a discussion on gear maintenance.
4) In-air safety
5) Aircraft safety - led by the pilots

Each participant got a card signed off at each seminar and at the end of the day, folks who had all five signed off entered into a drawing for prizes. There were enough prizes that about half the participants won something, so there was good incentive to stay. Some were DZ-related (free repacks, money on account, discount on classes, coach jumps), others were donated by skydivers who had a business or could perform a service. Free lunch and free BBQ at the end of the day also helped.

I think it also helped that the DZ was closed except for early morning and post-seminar jumps. Safety Day *was* the reason people were at the DZ that day.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke