ShaggyFord

First paid tandem.....chop!!.......anyone else?

I did my first paid tandem a couple of months ago and everything went well untill deployment. It opened up into a lineover. Needless to say, I did what I was supposed to and everything went well. By the way, the Master 425 flies like crap (just my opinion). But, it still saved our lives.

Anyway, I was told by a couple of tandem masters that they never heard of anyone chopping on their first paid tandem. I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen? Share your stories.

I'm just sorry that you have to begin your tandem career on Strong gear. Oh well, it can only get better.
Yes the Master does fly like shit. But the rig makes up for it with its lack of functionality and its extreme discomfort.
Good job on doing the right thing. Soon you will develop a list of one-liners to tell your students right before you chop.

Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

But the rig makes up for it with its lack of functionality and its extreme discomfort.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got a firend who had his first tandem chop on his first jump rith an IE. Me? 1000+ in the bag, and still feeling lucky.,....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Amazing! 5000 jumps and not the hint of a clue. How did you survive this long?

More importantly, why would you publicly denigrate one of the true inventors and gentleman in this sport? I just don't get it.

I'm just sorry that you have to begin your tandem career on Strong gear. Oh well, it can only get better.
Yes the Master does fly like shit. But the rig makes up for it with its lack of functionality and its extreme discomfort.
[...]

Aaron

Agree with you there. That rig just sucks sometimes. But what can you do. I can't say much, cause that rig is all that I know. It still saves my life each jump.

Amazing! 5000 jumps and not the hint of a clue. How did you survive this long?

That's a very strong statement for simply disagreeing with his/her's opinion, kind of an extreme reaction if you ask me.

More importantly, why would you publicly denigrate one of the true inventors and gentleman in this sport? I just don't get it.

Ford vs. Chevy.

Both get the job done, but different people disagree on who's the best and why. Peronally I believe that the Sigma is the most advanced tandem system on the market as well as the safest in regards to what sort of malfunctions an happen on the system, but that is my opinion. Even though my opinion aligns with the opinion of many many instructors out there and DZs out there does not mean that your opinion isn't valid nor that your opinion is wrong, just that its different. Every major tandem manufacture has its pluses and minuses in its systems, as long as the instructor recognizes these and understands them, then what is wrong?

Its not a personal attack on the creator of either system (both of which are true inventors and gentlemen in this sport), its just a difference of opinion and thus a different in instructional technique via eqipment used.

If everyone believed in the exact same system in whatever discipline you partake in skydiving, where would the inovation come from?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

SkyHigh-
I kind of have to agree with you. I've only put about 500 jumps on Strong tandem gear and I'm quite surprised that I lived through them. Fortunately for me, and my students, the rest have been on modern gear. I don't know Ted personally, but I do know that Strong tandem gear is at best second rate and i will not use Strong gear again in its current configuration.
I don't know you either. Its all good. But let me guess.....you're a Racer owner and think that its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Please stay happy in your oblivious world. (it means clueless)

Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

SkyHigh-
I kind of have to agree with you. I've only put about 500 jumps on Strong tandem gear and I'm quite surprised that I lived through them. Fortunately for me, and my students, the rest have been on modern gear. I don't know Ted personally, but I do know that Strong tandem gear is at best second rate and i will not use Strong gear again in its current configuration.
I don't know you either. Its all good. But let me guess.....you're a Racer owner and think that its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Please stay happy in your oblivious world. (it means clueless)

Aaron

cranky skygod...

Why is anyone still jumping Strong 425 mains?
I have about 1500 jumps - and 14 cutaways from them. I have also landed more damaged 425s and 500s than I care to remember.
For that matter, why is anyone jumping F-111 tandem mains from any manufacturer?
They fell out of fashion during the last century!

Fortunately Strong 425 reserves fly much better - at least the 15 I have tried.
Only had to cutaway from a single SET-400 with some type of tension knot.

At one point, I got so bored with cutting away damaged 425s that I told a tandem (level 2) student: "Do you see that broken line on the right side of the canopy? We don't want to land that. Pull this red handle and arch some more."

cranky skygod...

Not sure if you have ever jumped as a tandem instructor or even seen Strong tandem rigs, but they are substandard in their design. I'm a tandem instructor, but luckily have so far had no reason to get a strong endorsement. However, i'm a rigger as well and can simply look at and inspect the hazards on the rig. I dont know about the comfort of them though. Aaron's not cranky, he's right. I dont have near as many jumps as Aaron. I've only got about 300 tandems..which is nothing now days.

Cheers,
Travis

Just curious, what exactly is it about the Strong rig that makes it substandard in your opinion?

To start, the drogue release on the cutaway handle is a bad idea. Good in theory, but what if the cable from that drogue release was crushed with a packing weight? You would have a no way to cutaway since they are connected systems. Same reason I think the eclipse is wrong in having the drogue release on the cutaway handle. I have seen it happen where that drogue release housing was crushed with a packing weight and prevented a cutaway...luckily it was discovered on the ground. That's death on a stick. Not to mention the complex two pin system used on their reserves and the packing methods. Lots of "band aid" fixes involving new flaps or tuck tabs. And the way they look when packed correctly, they still look bad. Stuff hanging out. Spandex flaps in the main tray that are just another part to replace more often than one made of cordura. I will jump a strong and get endorsed if need be, but in my opinion, their shortcomings are not outweighed by thier low cost.

Now I do know some people who have used strongs at their dropzones because of the service/lease program they had. I’m not sure if Strong still does it. It was like lease the rig and all maintenance and everything is done by the factory for free. So strong had a great idea there.

Cheers,
Travis

My first paid tandem went well...and that following Tuesday my butt cheeks finally unclinched. I guess I'm just a worry wort. BUT, on my fifth and final evaluation jump, you know, the one right before you're cleared to start taking up-jumpers..you know, the hardcore one (at least for Vector) where they make you leave unstable, go drogueless for awhile, do some turns and then you can throw the drogue? I had a lineover (which was also my first malfunction) on that one. Fortunately, it was windy as hell and we had a great stand-up landing...the best one I'd had since, well, 4 jumps earlier when you jump that thing by yourself. Man, that first one...I shoulda' took a gameboy or a chicken dinner or a deck of cards or something...damn that was a boring and long canopy ride! At least it was February in PA, so the stinging cold took my mind off of the monotony of the canopy ride. It built character though....so I shouldn't complain,,,

I have made over 1600 tandems on strong containers and they are a functional syustem . There are other systems out there *I would personally buy for myself but give my a good strong over a poorly maintained rig from another manufacturer any time.Thats witha good main too.
Go big!

Our Senior Tandem Master at my Dropzone had that happen too... But the funny part (only funny because everyone landed safe), is that he caused it himself. Tandem master before had a chop, and this new Tandem Master was the packer / rigger. They got the peices back together and he hooked the main up backwards. He took it up on his 1st live tandem, and sure enough... CHOP.

He has never hooked up a canopy backwards since.