javip82

What do you need for USPA Coach rating

What do you need in order to become a USPA Coach?
how many jumps do you need, exam or what?
what does this rating entitle's you to do?
Do you recommend it?

Requirements:

USPA “B” License
Documented proof of 100 jumps
Current USPA membership

Other Stuff:

You will need the 2005 additions of the USPA Skydivers Information Manual and Instructor Rating Manual to attend the course. It is strongly recommended that every candidate study all material concerning USPA’s ISP program in the SIM and the entire Coach section in the IRM. The more familiar everyone is with the material, the more quickly the lectures and demos will go.

Pre-course requirements on the Coach Proficiency Card may be completed after successful completion of the course. No rating will be issued until the all blocks on the card are signed off. All signoff blocks must be completed within two years of each other to obtain the rating. I is strongly recommended that all candidates get to work on the pre-course requirements now and hone their belly flying skills!

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

The minimums for the USPA Coach rating is pretty low, too low really (rumor is the USPA is working to change that).

If you want to be a good and productive coach, the minimums is the least of your worries, being able to be with your student from exit, down the hill and setting up a really good learning environment so you student can learn all he/she can in that jump is what you should be worried about that. If you can't be there and fly without thinking about it, so you can concentrate on watching your student so you can train and debrief properly, then that person shouldn't really be a coach or use their coach rating for coaching.

For instance, myself, I got my coach rating to get my tandem rating for not too much more. Over the past couple of years I got better training myself and have been able to help out some of our special students (bigger people mainly) and I love working with coach students on their canopy control (especially during their 2 hop-n-pop jumps), but I know that my DZ has better skilled coaches then me. So I work with students in areas that are better suited to my skillset in skydiving and let those with better RW skills work with the in-air stuff.

Just something for you to think about.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So basically it is a license that you need in order to become a tandem instructor.
With this coach rating what else can you do?
Can you jump with other tandem students(I mean not as the instructor who is taking them on the ride, but as a viewer of the skydive)
Can you give someone a refresher course with this license?
Can you charge a fee for coaching?

Can you jump with other tandem students(I mean not as the instructor who is taking them on the ride, but as a viewer of the skydive)
Can you give someone a refresher course with this license?
Can you charge a fee for coaching?

Nope, you're not coming along on my tandems with just a coach rating, unless you've got 500 jumps and I know your flying ability.

You can teach non-method-specific FJC sections.

You can charge for coach jumps to complete requirements for a USPA A-license (if you actually want to charge someone for that).

Its the new equivelant of the BIC, but you get to get your hands on some students under an instructor's watchful eye to really learn how to instruct and teach, to prepair you for a real instructional rating.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."