Cornjumper

Tandem Students with Polio

I took a young man up this Summer with Cerebral Palsy. You can protect your student the same way I did.

I made a set of straps as follows:

-One strap around the legs above the ankles
-One strap around the legs above the knees
-Another, with loops in each end and a friction adapter in the middle. One loop has the upper leg strap routed through it, and the top one is for the chest strap on the passenger harness. This strap is cinched down at about 2000 FT to lift the student's leg for landing.

I also supported his legs with my feet so we could slide in safely.

Otherwise I had someone help me get him into the aircraft and then into the door for exit.

I sat right across from the door, and hooked up a little earlier than normal.
Arrive Safely

John

For the past several years our dropzone has hosted an MS Boogie as a fundraiser for people with MS. Each year there have been people with various degrees of MS who have jumped. One in particular had little to no use of his arms and legs, yet he has now made over 5 tandems.

The comments John made are spot on. Controlling the legs and arms (if needed) are critical not only for stability in freefall, but to minimize injury to the tandem passenger. For several of the individuals we used straps, but for the one guy we actually used duct tape for added securement.

Keep in mind this requires a very experienced tandem instructor to do this as well. The added instability in freefall is a major factor for safety, but the comfort of the passenger once under canopy is also important. There is a lot for the instructor to handle, especially if something goes wrong.

Best of luck, and if you ever want to visit our dropzone and use some of our guys for it, pop on over. PM me if you would like additional information.

Don

I just wanted to support the previous replies. The info on the leg lift strap is bang on. I had a rigger build a similar design for me when taking folk who have no ability to move their lower limbs. It is a little involved under canopy but it lifts the legs up high for the canopy ride and landing. The duct tape around the legs works great too but the freefall can be as tricky as hell (tendency to try and spin). Choose your aircraft well and pick your day carefully. Ive taken many movement impaired folk and Im not afraid to can the day if conditions are not perfect. Every time I plan for one of these special jumps I tell myself never again but once on the ground with my ecstatic passenger I know exactly why Ive done it. Those jumps can be the most rewarding of your career. The ones I have done have certainly been mine.
Take extra time with planning, have heaps of catchers all briefed carefully on their responsibilities and pick your day.
I think Relative Workshop have a booklet from a symposium long gone with heaps of tips on doing this kind of jump (also has detailed plans of the leg strap/support descried).
Enjoy
Apologies, I just spotted that your not a tandem I yourself but looking for advice. My post was directed to an I doing that actual jump. In that case, I hope your uUncle has a crackin jump!!

There used to be a very cool and good british skyphotographer over Skydance. His name is Martin Evans and he had suffered from polio leaving his legs, especially one very weak. Yet he's a helluva skydiver and he might have some insight.

His e-mail used to be [email protected] but it's been almost 10 years...
Memento Audere Semper