efs4ever

Reason not to tell tandem student details about what happens after opening

Nice report Deuce. I've video taped a lot of tandem skydives. What happened to you happens to plenty of other talented tandem instructors. It's easy to criticize when the person is someone else. There are a lot of tandem skydives made every year that do not get documented on tape and this one did. Good on you for posting a picture knowing you'd be under scrutiny from the masses.

You're not supposed to use the drogue to gain stability... unless_it_becomes_necessary. That’s simply a matter of fact. What other choice do you have besides pulling the reserve? That's even less ideal but it is an option that has been used.

If it was so easy to prevent, it would not be part of the lesson plan.

It's a helpless sensation watching a tandem pair out of control at terminal. "Pull something ... just pull something" ... and then out comes the drogue. Problem solved.

Preventing something like that is always the best option, however, that option doesn't always present itself

JP, you get an "A" for unf***ing yourself.

That bad ass picture is actually upside down isn’t it? How close is he really? Is the picture cropped?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That bad ass picture is actually upside down isn’t it? How close is he really? Is the picture cropped?

It may be cropped and upside down, you'd be better off asking Matthias. He posted the actual exit shot on NCS a while back with the caption "Hota Peh Head Down" and it took a couple days for Genomoto to post back "Holy Shit, that's a Tandem, isn't it!" or something like that. I was laughing once it settled down, cause Matthias was arching like I'd never seen him arch before! :ph34r:

The big ones you want to slow down so the camera flier can keep up.

Deuce,

You seem like a nice guy and the quote above illustrates that.

Me, I'm a grumpy anti-social. B|

Therefore, I worry about MY problems and insist that camerafliers worry about their own.

Just as you can "dress for succes" with a baggy suit for you and a tight suit for the passenger (and this is even more important as the passengers outweigh you or have long arms and legs) so can the cameraflier.
If he wants to work for me and get paid, I'll LEND him one of my leadvests if he perceives that fallingspeed of the tandempair becomes a problem.

But I'm not gonna accept things like baggy suits on the bigger tandempassenger so that the camera can keep up.
If he cant it is time to polish up his sitflying or standup techniques.

Other than that, if you end up belly to earth under a drogue? I'm not realy in the position to cast the first stone since about a 1000 or so tandemjumps ago I ended up with a droguebridle between my legs and had to go for silver...

(you live and learn...)

Just my $0,02...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I think you should shame yourself for throwing a droque in this position!

Would bouncing be better?

You skydive for the exit to be stable....If you can't get stable you save both of your lives. If that means throwing the drouge to keep from dying, you do it.

I will say the choice of a tshirt could have been done better, but he knows that now.

As for AD...Dude if you can't take the heat doing back to backs...Don't sacrifice saftey by skimping on the equipment, don't do back to backs.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As for AD...Dude if you can't take the heat doing back to backs...Don't sacrifice saftey by skimping on the equipment, don't do back to backs.

Not sacrificing on equipment, just dressing for success in the weather that we have. Even one just one jump in a large, heavy, baggy FF suit or similar will zap those in great shape when its 105+F and over 60% humidity. ;)

If someone has to rely on a baggy jumpsuit to have control, are they really flying the tandem pair anyways? If they are, how is their training on the ground?

Meh, not doing many back to backs anymore, I'm doing tandems because I want to now that I have a "real" job.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If someone has to rely on a baggy jumpsuit to have control, are they really flying the tandem pair anyways? If they are, how is their training on the ground?

People say the same thing to me about booties...."Why do you have to wear booties?"

Answer, "I don't HAVE to, but I can, and it makes things much safer for me...So I do it."

I would rather dress for the safest freefall possible and be hot, than dress to look or br cool and risk not having enough control when a problem comes up.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I hate it when you post something and all you get is a lot of "you should'ves".... especially from those whose only qualifications come from reading these forums.

I agree, doggy! We're all human beings and feces occurs, Especialy when doing tandems. If that dude was bragging about the picture or blowing the whole thing off, then I would be the first one on his ass. but doesn't seem to be doing that. And any tandem instructor that says he hasn't done something like what you see in that picture is either lying or stupid or deluded. Or maybe he has four tandems total.

That being said, there are a shit load of 'tandem instructors' out there that should be doing their 'instructing' at the 'fry station' at Mc Donalds. This guy doesn't appear ready for the service industry just yet. So give him a fucking break.

Now the cameraman that said 'it's all about the shot'. That's another story. It's even easier to be a 'cameraman' these days than a 'tandem instructor'

Brett
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"