Kuper

Tandem passengers 'instructions movie' as part of ground prepartaion

The closest thing we have is that old RWS waiver video.

We (my DZ) is working on putting together one to replace the old footage after the waiver talk by booth (you know, the "we're going to go in about 5 to 10 sek-onds" video) with current and DZ specific footage.

However, with that said, it will in no way shape or form replace instruction by an instructor. It will just help introduce some ideas and terminology.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dont use one at all apart from the punters watching promo videos during their short wait for the jump.

We totally reinforce the need to arch etc for a better jump to those people who need to do it a bit more but usually the one on one briefing works just fine.

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

We have a training video that each student watches.
It starts off with the lawyer that wrote the liability release waiver that they have already signed, and gives them the opportunity to back out once it has been bluntly explained to them. The next part of the tape breifly explains the equipment, rig, passenger harness, and hook up proocedures. It then shows an exit as it explains body position, then under canopy and landing.
After watching the tape the student is paired with an instructor and they go over the important stuff.

How do ya like it Johnny?

I have been jumping at a DZ for ten years and working there for two. We use a video. This one has just been recorded on site with our own people. It is preceded by a waiver video. On a busy day groups come in and watch the videos after talking to someone from manifest they fill out all the necessary paperwork. We often don't see them until 5 minute call as some other instructor will get them dressed and all we have to do is check and adjust the harness and give the the required briefing. While I am not a particular fan of this method (not personal enough for my tastes), it has been safe and effective. We have had days with low sport jumper turnout that see four or five tandem pairs on each load (Otter) no shutdowns and quite a bit of video. I think that one guy has actually done fifteen tandems a day on the weekends on average and his record is eighteen.
I haven't worked at any other turg=bine dropzone but I find these numbers to be both amazing and slightly alarming. I am the oldest TM so after about ten jumps in the summer heat I don't feel that I should make anymore due to fatigue. The other guys don't seem to mind and claim that they aren't that tired. I always hope that they aren't fooling themselves. A twelve to fourteen hour day of jumping is a lot of work. Has anyone else out there worked with a system like this? What is the "usual" number of jumps by a TM at a single turbine dropzone?

I routinely did 8 tandems per day when I worked at Hemet, California. Hemet was split DZ, so every jump included a 20 minute van ride. We mainly jumped from Cessnas, but had a King Air one year.

8 jumps a day was hard work when we flew Cessnas in Snohomish, Washington, but a dozen a day was the norm when we had a Caravan during the longer days of summer.

When we run the King Air in Pitt Meadows, I routinely do 7 to 10 jumps per day. When we only have Cessnas, 6 or 7 is a full day.

The Saturday before last I did 14 from a 182. Started at 8AM and went until dark with absolutely no breaks in between. The worst part about a day like that is having to stay up all night editing handcam videos. The nice part is I made almost $1000 in 1 day.

The Saturday before last I did 14 from a 182. Started at 8AM and went until dark with absolutely no breaks in between. The worst part about a day like that is having to stay up all night editing handcam videos. The nice part is I made almost $1000 in 1 day.

Commercial airline pilots wouldn't be allowed to do this for obvious reasons of safety. Same goes for long disctance commercial tractor-trailer drivers. Why should this logic not apply to tandem instructors? This is a good example of how we need to regulate ourselves before "someone" steps in to regulate us. I'm not a TI, but it seems logical to me that if a TI jumps a passenger while exhausted, the safety level is less than optimal.

The Saturday before last I did 14 from a 182. Started at 8AM and went until dark with absolutely no breaks in between.

I know what you mean, I did 17 the same way, and then had to finish the day doing an AFF L3.
I didn't have to do any video editing though, just alittle wine drinking.....:P;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com