brettpobastad

Handicapped tandem student

we built some straps for ourselves to do just that. Soft ankle wraps with velcro to keep ankles tied together.
Second strap to wrap just above the knees to keep them together. This strap also had a quicklink or caribiner (Sp?) connected to it with an adjustable strap.

Once under canopy, you can use this strap to lift their knees up high, and connect the caribiner over the passenger harness upper connector.
This keeps the legs up and out of the way. During freefall, just connect the thing to somewhere where it will not get in the way.

Youc an also build wrist soft wraps to keep their arms crossed in front of them and out of harms way.

We found that limbs will break when flapping in the freefall winds. Binding them helps the TM keep everything in place. TM can cross their legs around the passenger and help hold them thru freefall.

Under canopy, very important to get legs up and out of the way, the straps help with that, and the TM can 'slide' in under them on landing to help cushion that.

We have done many

TK
SKydive City

Thanks TK. I'm in the process of building a harness similar to the one you described. I'm glad I saw your reply before I got to far on it because I was going to build way to much into it as far as getting the legs up and out of the way under canopy. My concern was leverage and location. I wondered if I would be ab;e to pull the legs up with a direct pull so I was going to build in a double pulley system deal. I was also concerned about how and where to locate this system to keep it contained and out of the way in freefall but still allow easy access and use once under canopy. From your reply, it seems like it might not be an issue. Thanks again.

Do you have any advice on exiting from a C-182? I planned on doing the sitting exit with help from the cameraman with her legs. She is also somewhat of a big girl.
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

hey..
I just last week took a paraplegic friend of mine for a jump...'I ;ve done a few before but this one was by far the most successful....

Most 'wheelies' are very strong in the shoulders and upper arms...
I had a few friend s lift him up and he hung from a chinning bar..in this case ,,a support for our shade area..
I quickly fitted the harness while he was ''standing up'...
the result...little or no slip into the harness at deployment...this is usually a prob with wheelies..

We exited a 182...had camera man helped get his legs out into position from inside the plane...then the video man climbed over us and unto the strut..
a few minor adjustments and away we went..

The jump went well,,the landing was perfect with 10mph winds...
Be wary of doing this in a no-wind condition as para's do have weaker leg bones and fracture easily.

it made the local paper..

www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2005/05/28/news/news02.txt