chopchop

The Oldest AFF student I have ever jumped was...

I took an 80 y.o. man on his AFF 1 a week ago.. He had 150 military jumps from 45 years earlier.. 0 freefall.. I was scared shitless.. He was fine. He did great. It was his last jump. He'll probably never jump again but he seemed to need that one last one. The whole thing happened quicker than he expected but despite the initial balling up and then the delay before starting the sequence.. (despite the many hand signals including pulling his arm) he did the entire sequence, pulled on time and landed safely.
I am not sure who was happier, myself, him or his wife.

I was also quite relieved. His memory was failing.. communication was poor.. and he was a seasoned skydiver.. (in his mind) It had been 6 weeks since first jump course and he showed no signs of having attended.. The odds were not good.

So.. we gave a very thorough retrain and decided he was ready. Overall.. it was a very rewarding experience once it was done. He told me he had been reliving his last jump in his mind and could remember it clearly for the last 45 years.. He needed to make one more.. and tandem was out of the question.

Anyone else out there harness holding the elderly? :)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

We had a guy in his late 60's come through the AFF program. It took a about 15 jumps but he finished and now has his A. He just bought a rig. But he broke his foot on a landing a few weeks ago but he still comes to the DZ every weekend.

John is much better at remembering names and ages and such, but we have a guy that is in his early 80's that made at least five AFF jumps (we never let him go) not long ago. I saw him at the DZ doing a tandem two weekends ago. Nice guy, very strong physically, but very stiff in the air.

Chuck