slotperfect

The Oldest Tandem Student I Have Jumped Was . . .

Tandem Instructors: what age was your oldest Tandem Student? Tell us about the person and how the skydive went?

Mine was 81 - last year. Retired SFC Frank Pelaez.

The reason I'm asking? My 75 year old Mom is coming over in June to make a tandem with me. I think about it a lot - both excitement and nervousness. These conversations help me keep that future jump in perspective.
Arrive Safely

John

Last summer I took a lady on her 84th birthday. I think I was a lot more nervous about it than she was. She did great though. The canopy ride was a little rough for her and she dry heaved for about 20 minutes after we landed, but she said the freefall part was "Delightful!".

She sent me a Christmas card with $50.00 in it.

I'm not a TI, but my dad (then 85) went a couple of years ago. He liked it; put it at about a 7 out of 10 (that's a priceless moment on the video :ph34r:). He really enjoys having the video and the pictures, so be sure and get them.

As far as handling it, no problems whatsoever.

And he's legally blind...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I had three 70+ tandem students last season, two ladies and one gentleman. All were great fun to talk with and each had a real blast. I know for a fact that I was way more nervous then they were about the jump. Of course when Grandma or Grandpa goes skydiving the whole family is going to be there to see it. It’s bad enough that I am very concerned about injuring an older student it only gets worse when I realize it could happen with the family watching. I (knock on wood) haven’t had a student injured on a jump yet but as any instructor will tell you it isn’t for a lack of trying on their part.

On a side note, I would say that the more mature ladies are the most fun students you could have. I think the proper term is Dirty Ol’ Lady ;)

I took a 73yr old a good while back. She was great, had a great time and all of that.

What really got me was about a week later I recieved a nice hand written thankyou card from her at the DZ. That is the best "tip" I've ever recieved.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

He was 89, and unfortunatly his left arm dislocated as he released his harness and brought his arms out after exit.
I had no idea why it was flapping wildly during freefall, but soon found out after canopy inflation.

I now nicely explain to any older passengers that they have more then normal to extreme forces from the air against their body and give them the option of leaving their arms crossed during freefall.

Under canopy I never do anything over a 90 degree turn unless requested to, so they dont get sick.

Treat them as though you are taking your mother or father for a skydive. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Took my 79-year-old dad last year...he'll be 80 in July, so I'm hoping I can break that record with him! ;)

I've taken several other people in their mid-70s, they have never been a problem. As for my dad, he has 10 total tandems, I've taken him three times now, and aside from him bitching about everything (the harness is too tight, my ears are cold, aren't you going to hook me up before we exit?:P), it's been a great experience. He even got a "Him, him..." on the plane last time, which was probably his proudest moment.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

94 last 4th of July. Up here in Washington State.
Made sportscenter and cnn and a lot of local tv stations. Very cool dude with a lot of cool family members there too. Nazi death camp survivor.
The next weekend one of the other TI's at the DZ took a 96 year old. Of course it wasn't either one of our first days nor was it the first 90+ for either of us. Elder people are some of the most rewarding tandem jumps for me. They can also be some of the most nerve racking but at least I know that if they freak out, I can take a little old lady a lot easier than a 22 year old.
Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

I took the 72 year old father of a jumper at our DZ on one of the last jumps on my EZ 425. He really hated it when I told him to grab his harness and ARCH again as we spun through the sky with a nasty line over.

Chop was good, and the landing was a nice slide in front of his "cheering section." :)
The mal shook him up, though, and detracted from the whole experience. [:/]
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I also took my 71 year old former teacher from my days as a kid growing up in Saudi Arabia. He was the English teacher, coach, band teacher, Scoutmaster and music teacher.

We had a good jump in Marana during a reunion of other Aramco Brat "kids". (Some past 70 themselves.)

We made the front page of section two of the Tucson paper. :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

My 75 year old Mom is coming over in June to make a tandem with me. I think about it a lot - both excitement and nervousness. These conversations help me keep that future jump in perspective.

Don't think about it so much. You'll be great and mom will have a blast. I can't wait to see her and catch it on film. Looks like another scrapbook to me B|
Your attitude in life determines your altitude!!!

Jumped a WW2 veteran into the market garden memorial out of a DC3.

In 1944 the guy was 20. Jumping a military round with germans shooting at him, so why would he be afraid for this jump

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I took a lady who was 94 last summer. She was the calmest tandem I ever took. She said she wasn't afraid of anything at that age, she'd been through it all.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

78 thus far, but older to come in the future no doubt!

(And he loved every minute of it!!)

-Funny how a lot of older persons think that they have nothing to lose given their age and thus take the plunge.....I keep telling them (and all the other tandem passengers) that the BUS RIDE BACK to the dz is the most dangerous part of the jump!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Today took and 80yr old guy. He was sprightlier than some of the twenty somethings I took.

He was an teacher and could proudly boast his own hair and teeth.

He arched fantastically and everything went well. He was an absolute pleasure to take.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....