readysetjo

Jumping for slots??

At my dz it is unheard of to charge more than a jump ticket for a coach jump. This seems pretty typical for small Canadian dz's.

Pretty common at many small DZ's.

Its one reason I like Smaller DZ's for students.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Actually Ron, this this person asked about AFF not just coaching jumps

And was not his question already answered? And was not that answer pretty much like the other answer?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I done a few tandems just for my slot, and when our primary pilot decided he wanted to do AFF, I provided the instruction for free and also bought my own jump tickets (though the other AFF-I asked for slots). For family and good friends, I've usually just bought their jumps outright.

If I were you, I wouldn't approach someone and ask them to do such a thing, but if they've already offered, you might ask them if that offer still stands.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BS I'm old school let them hitch hike like we did in the good old days!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant "Shag" as in "have sex with".

That's how I understood it - what other kinds of "shagging" are there besides sex? I know of "shag" rugs but obviously that's not going to apply to an instructor...

At my dz it is unheard of to charge more than a jump ticket for a coach jump. This seems pretty typical for small Canadian dz's.

Oh well, where I come from, it is unheard of that anyone gets any money what so ever. This includes TMs, pilots and instructors. That being said, if you ask an instructor on a jump, you pay the slot.

I should say that this is a skydiving club (like most DZs in Denmark) and not a commercial DZ.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

When I look at all the folks at the dz who have gotten filthy rich teaching AFF, it makes me think they should all work for free. Oh, the injustice of it all - the AFF Instructors, vidiots, and TMs with their expensive Italian cars, silk suits, vacation homes, and motor yachts.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

When I look at all the folks at the dz who have gotten filthy rich teaching AFF, it makes me think they should all work for free. Oh, the injustice of it all - the AFF Instructors, vidiots, and TMs with their expensive Italian cars, silk suits, vacation homes, and motor yachts.

Just for that Brent, you can't ride in my Italian car, borrow Chris's silk suits, stay at one of our many vacation homes, or on the yacht!:ph34r:;)

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

All my AFF students who need to repeat a level pay slot plus packjob only. As others have mentioned, they still need to pay for their packjob, and their own rig hire. Since I'm making no money the DZ usually waives their fee too.

I'm also a BMI and have yet to charge for the ground school or a fee for the dives. Slot plus a packjob is what it costs.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

it is unheard of that anyone gets any money what so ever. This includes TMs, pilots and instructors. That being

Ya, pretty much true here too, i'll be forever thankful i got 50 + coach jumps for free, makes you want to pass it on to the next generation
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Is it appropriate for me to even ask you?

Nope.

I disagree. The instructor offered to jump for slot. That makes it totally appropriate to ask her/him to jump with you for slot. If the instructor wasn't being sincere, tough! She/he should have thought of that before making the offer to the student.

The student needs to realize that the instructor is helping you out....so be appreciative. Also understand he/she is gonna blow you off if she/he is busy with full-price paying students. The instructor can back out the offer altogether, but should apologize to the student for making an offer he/she never intended to be taken seriously.

...I've managed to become friends with some folks who are extremely qualified in the sport, most are infact instructors for the DZ...

When you graduate, you will be jumping with the fun jumpers...you might want to get to know them pretty soon.

The fun jumpers will jump you for free...once you have your A license. Some of them even have coach ratings, so they can jump with BEFORE you get your license. Most will do it for slot, slot plus pack at the most. Don't be shocked if they want a little something extra...they did pay money to get that rating.

I've seen too many people fall into the trap of spending time around the instructors. Once you graduate, go meet the load organizers and the rest of the fun jumpers. There are some great teachers over there, and they aren't doing for a living...so it won't cost you as much. The instructor need to work with the new class of AFF students.

I disagree. The instructor offered to jump for slot. That makes it totally appropriate to ask her/him to jump with you for slot. If the instructor wasn't being sincere, tough! She/he should have thought of that before making the offer to the student.

The student needs to realize that the instructor is helping you out....so be appreciative. Also understand he/she is gonna blow you off if she/he is busy with full-price paying students. The instructor can back out the offer altogether, but should apologize to the student for making an offer he/she never intended to be taken seriously.

Perhaps some clarification. 1) My understanding of the original thread wasn't offer and acceptance; time gone by and a reminder by asking.... 2) It was asking without an offer.

If 1, then "Yes." I said it, I meant it. I have offered in the past and been asked after a long day of students and had to politely decline until another time and then made sure to hunt them down, rather than put them on the spot. But, have since learned not to offer unless I can do it that day.

If 2, Nope.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Your blunt response makes it sound like a student is totally out of line for asking. The only way students learn is by asking.

Students should always feel welcome to ASK an instructor to jump with them. If they never offered to jump for slot, then it is up to the instructor to say:

1. "Sure, I'll jump with you, just cover my slot"
2. "Sure, but as a certified instructor, it's gonna cost you slot plus $X"
3. "I do this for a living. I charge $x for a coach jump. You can save some money if you start jumping with..." then go introduce them to load organizer or someone with a coach rating. Help them make the transition from being a student who only jumps with staff instructors to someone who jumps with the DZ regulars. There still a lot of fun jumpers who enjoy teaching and working with recent graduates...and we do it at our own expense. It can save the student some money and the instructor can get back your full price paying students.

Someone once told me that there is a very high drop out rate for people who complete the student program. I think a lot of that is because, in general, there is a no formal transition from student to fun jumper. I felt abandoned when i graduated. The instructor move on to the next guy, and the student doesn't know anyone of the fun jumpers.

So please, to all the instructors, find a way to introduce your graduates to the fun jumpers. Ask for volunteers, they're out there. And to the non-instructors, go talk to the instructors...let them know you want to meet the graduates. To the graduates...ask around. Someone will point you in the direction of a fun jumper who likes to work with grads. If that doesn't work, go buy a case of Corona. Sit next to that case with some sliced limes and a bottle opener...you'll meet plenty of people!

Drew, what great advice!!!! You managed to hit the nail on the head so to speak. Just starting out its "easy" to depend on the instructors because they obviously know what they are doing and for someone like me who knows practically nothing it is somewhat intimidating. I'm nervous about asking, don't want to look stupid because then no one will want to jump with me and as a female in a largely male sport its awkward at times to fit in. Thanks for the suggestions and to the other experienced jumpers take the risk and introduce yourself to someone walking around the DZ with a parachute on who looks nervous.....if it happens to be me I'd appreciate the vote of confidence.
Your attitude in life determines your altitude!!!