barroch

Tandem Masters...

Hello,

I was just wondering guys, what is the minimum requirement to start training as a tandem master? Thing is I just travelled round Australia and I am looking to get permanent residancy and the Tandem market is huge over there. There is nothing I would like more than jumping out with Swedish chicks strapped to me for a living!

My plan is to work up to Tandem Master status in the UK and move over to Oz. I know it is a long way off but I'm the type of person that needs a plan in life and a target to aim for and if I know what I hav to do it will not seem as so much of a mamoth task!

I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions and information!

Hope everyone is ok and blue skies to everyone!

Bazza :P

Australia have their own set of guide lines for tandem certification. Should you wish to get a RWS rating this will be the minimum that the Tandem I/E will require from you. Keep in mind that Australia might have higher requirements.

Before beginning this program, an applicant for Tandem
Instructor Training must:
1. Currently possess, or at one time been issued, a USPA Static Line Instructor rating, AFF
Jumpmaster or Instructor rating, or a USPA IAD Instructor rating or foreign equivalent.
Those candidates with a Static Line or IAD Jumpmaster rating must also attend a USPA
BIC/Coach before attending a tandem certification course.
2. Have logged at least 500 ram-air jumps and 3 years experience in sport parachuting.
3. Hold a current FAA Class 1, 2, or 3 Medical Certificate or foreign equivalent.
4. Hold a current USPA D license (expert) or foreign equivalent.
5. Be at least 18 years of age.

Hope this helps. The requirment most tend to forget is the 3 years in the sport!

Cheers
Egon

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

There is nothing I would like more than jumping out with Swedish chicks strapped to me for a living! ***

Uh huh........ for each of them, you get ten sweaty guys.... :S

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Uh huh........ for each of them, you get ten sweaty guys.... :S

Roy

Or 230 plus pound women. There is nothing like hooking up to someone who has the harness near maxed out on all adjustments to make you never want to eat again or just plan go get sick.

Or 230 plus pound women. There is nothing like hooking up to someone who has the harness near maxed out on all adjustments to make you never want to eat again or just plan go get sick.

I call those chicks "flow-ers."

Since every time you adjust the harness, they seem to flow around the straps...and make you shudder.:o[:/]:D:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spoze I better get jumping!!

You better had! According to Section 4 (Instructors) Para 5 (Tandem Instructor) Sub-Para 5.1 (Requirements) of the BPA Operations Manual

5.1.2. A minimum of 800 descents and 8 hours of free fall time.

Good luck!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Australia have their own set of guide lines for tandem certification.

Broadly:
"E" License (500 jump minimum)
Private Pilot's medical
Instructor Rating
Then:
Written examinations
Practical examinations
Grilling from a panel of instructors
Ten structured tandem jumps under VERY close supervision

It's not an easy road. But you get customers who do make it all very worthwhile.

L.

There is nothing I would like more than jumping out with Swedish chicks strapped to me for a living!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh huh........ for each of them, you get ten sweaty guys....

Let the kid have his dreams for god's sake!

I have a vision of myself in the moderate climate of New Zealand, jumping out of a nice PAC750XL with small japanese female tourists strapped to me, each of them graciously bowing after the jump, charmingly gigling and giving me a huge fee! Also there will be a paying trainee (barroch?) that listens eagerly to all my wise words in the evening at the bar while during daytime packing my tandemrig again and again and again...

I'm sure some of the readers here can give me a reality check.... don't bother! :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

, jumping out of a nice PAC750XL :P

This just keeps geting better and better. Not only do I do Tandems in Sweden, my club just got its new pac750xl delivered a week ago.

Going by the standards of you guys I must be the luckiest man alive B|

Keep us posted on your thoughts after you have done tandems out of the PAC?

Unless your a midget, the door is way too short to enjoy getting out of. ;)

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Keep us posted on your thoughts after you have done tandems out of the PAC?

Unless your a midget, the door is way too short to enjoy getting out of. ;)

Ed

I havent jumped the plane yet but I've tried the door on the ground and It's not the tallest one I've seen but I wouldn't think it's a problem... and since I only jump with small swedish chicks it will be fine
;)

It seems to me getting out not so difficult for bigger ones B|

Unless you were seated in that postion from take off, IMO you can't tell anyone that has done tandems out of an Otter, Sky Van, Casa, or King Air, that the PAC a plane that is easier on the body for a TI to get of.

But that just my opinion, give me a taller door anyday. ;)

Keepin' it safe!
Ed

give me a taller door anyday. ;)

Ah, but imagine getting that passenger in the picture out of our trusted C 182..., then with the PAC 750 even in Sweden you've arived in tandemmasters heaven.

Doable in C 182? Yes, I guess... :S
(if not done 'worse' ones myself, done 'just as bad' from C 182... you almost forget what a joy it is to make another skydive... granted, walking out of a tailgate is always more comfortable...)

But my dream was more with small and gigling asian females sitting on my lap, wearing the jogging shoes of my 10 year old kid since they all arrived on the DZ at high heels... :P

Could one 'duckwalk' in a PAC750 ?
Good exercise! :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Ah, but imagine getting that passenger in the picture out of our trusted C 182...,

A guy 6'5" 278lbs was the biggest I have ever taken out of a trusty C182. Our fall rate was 116mph believe it or not. ;)

Ed

Nah, I disagree.

In the 182 (I've done tandems out of Davis's/Skydance's) you ride up with the door closed and the passenger secured against the firewall, and at altitude you turn them around and then hook up, open the door and depart. Easy and fun.

Problem with the PAC is you're up against the firewall facing aft and have to be secured to the student when the upjumpers prepare to depart. That means lots of scootching over that spar toward that amazing Willie Wonka Room-like tail which just keeps getting smaller as you get closer to the door.

If you have a PAC, it's something you could easily adjust to. But for those of us experienced with the other popular planes, it's a harder exit.

We call those women "two fisters" because you can fit two fists between thier shoulders and the harness after the chute opens

Bwahahahaha!

Man, I know what you're talking about, that's funny!

As for big guys in a 182...I took my cousin on a tandem about a year ago who is just under 6'8" out of our trusty 182. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal, not very hard. I haven't taken any nearly 300lbs people on a tandem since I'm a "big 'ol boy" myself and the gear isn't rated that high.;)

We now have a grand caravan with stradle benches so it doesn't really matter anymore. ;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Problem with the PAC is you're up against the firewall facing aft and have to be secured to the student when the up jumpers prepare to depart. That means lots of scootching over that spar

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I thought that PAC 750s came stock with straddle (bobsled) style benches. Straddle benches have been used in jump planes for more than a decade now, ergo there is no excuse for groveling about on the floor.
If your DZO is too busy, make your own straddle benches out of styrofoam, wrapped in vinyl.

At a bare minimum, ask your DZO to install a bench level with the spar in the front part of the cabin.