livendive

Hey "Four-Eyes"!

HI!
As I'm not familiar with the USPA-Instructor-System could you please tell me, what 4 types of Instructor-ratings exist, and what's the difference between them?!
I am AFF-Instructor but no Tandem-Instructor
blue skies

We have coaches (non method-specific) who take later level students, and we have four method-specific ratings that can used on a first jump. The ratings are static line (S/L), instructor assisted deployment (IAD), accelerated freefall (AFF), and tandem. Hopefully their names make the type of progression fairly obvious, except possibly IAD which is just like S/L except the deployment device for the first 5ish jumps is a throw-out pilot chute that the instructor holds onto/tosses instead of a static line anchored to the airplane.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I do about 350 tandems per year, about 50 PFFs,
do a few coach dives and help a little with our IAD program.
I dropped hundreds of static-line students in the last century, but none in this century. However next month I get to help train a new S/L instructor. That will be fun!
Evil laugh!

Hi!
Thanks for explaning! Do you personally think it does make sense to have so many different ratings? Do you need to renew every rating on its own? What do you have to do therefore? How many I-jumps? what are the minimum-requirements for the different ratings?

In most european countries we have a basic Instructional Rating, which allows you to teach a student all the ground stuff, attend students in the plane, spot them, do the radio, teach them canopy flying and packing and so on. You can also do S/L with the First-Jump-Students and jump with freefall-students as soon as they finished aff or S/L. So we don't have coaches.

Additionally we of course have AFF-Instructors, no discussion about the need of a specific training and examination of AFF-Instructors.

Tandem-I are of course a own category. I personally do not name them Instructors. Doing a Tandem is not really the same as teaching a "real" student.
TIAF is in discussion right now, but I do not see any advantage for the student - compared with AFF.

IAD as you explane it, doesn't really makes sense to me. I would never do that!! Any specific risks or advantages? What kind of openings do the students have? What percentage of students is instructed with this methode?

What do you think about the USPA-System?
I'm very interested to hear what you think could be changed?

Blue skies
PS sorry for one or other mistake in english grammer, it's been a while...

Tandem-I are of course a own category. I personally do not name them Instructors. Doing a Tandem is not really the same as teaching a "real" student.
TIAF is in discussion right now, but I do not see any advantage for the student - compared with AFF.

I have to disagree.

That depends on the type of tandem they are doing.

I someone chooses to enter into my private instruction course, they are instructed just the same as an AFF program, less the emergency procedures.

Now the "FUN", just for the ride tandem, is something else.

But we dont want to hijack this thread in another direction now, do we..... :P

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com