feuergnom

experience with older (60+) students

last year two "old" guys started training at our school (we do tandem-progression). one was 64, the other 55+. what they had in common were their difficulties of self-perception and body-coordination.
for these two reasons we took them with us to the paris tunnel (you know - learning to fly stable in a non stress environment - you don't have to deal with pulling or flying/landing a canopy) for training.

to make the story short - it didn't help much. the older one finally quit, the other went to a different school, where he thought he'd make better progress (which in fact he didn't. last news from september had it, that he's still doing AFF).

so my questions are: do you have an age-limit for your students? what do you look for before you decide to start training older students? when do you decide to tell a student he'll never be able to jump alone and therefore he should quit?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

We currently have an 81 year old AFF student at Raeford. He is by no means blazing through the training, but we are catering our program (doubling the jumps per category for one thing) to best keep him safe. This dude is harder than woodpecker lips, so we are not at all concerned about his physical health, it's just that he isn't that flexible and he can't hear well. He is currently on Cat C. Next oldest AFF we have done in some time was a couple of guys in their late 60's who were paratroopers back in the day. I can't count how many tandems I have done with people in their 60's thru 80's.

I guess making a proper plf could be one indicator weather a person is really "fit" to be in the sport. students of all ages make poor landings, but a femur or pelvis could be a very serious injury to some older students.
The ground always, remembers where you are!

ok - maybe i should have been more specific in my question [:/]

how do you decide if you take a student for training or turn him down and transfer him to the next golf-ressort?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I had an 80 year old guy in ground school, and I just asked him what he was thinking. He had accomplished a lot in life, and had another box to check. He had a note from his Dr. that OK'd him for skydiving.

I asked him how he felt about breaking some part of himself, and that at his age, a full recovery was unlikely. He knew all that and we went through the groundschool and he did fine. He had gotten a textbook on skydiving, so we went round and round a little about my instruction vs. the book, but he did fine.

He aced his level one (I wasn't on it). A little stiff, but OK. He is done with skydiving now, but he checked his box.

I think you handled them fine. If they really can't progress, I think you have to tell them you won't teach them anymore.

I am against age limits.

I've had the honor of working with some WWII vets who jumped into Normandy. Took the refresher training very well, but to their credit had maintained themselves in very good condition for their age. Case by case basis for the type of training.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

We do train older students at our DZ. However, we feel it is best for them to do a couple of tandems or so first to learn canopy control and to get freefall exposure. Latest elderly AFF student to complete his level one was 71 years old. We use a "Flare" simulator (toggles, cables, pullys, and weights). If the student is too weak to pull a flare, we send them home to exercise until they can pull a decent flare. Our S&TA who is also our chief classroom instructor and an AFFI has the final say whether to let them jump or not. It is a MUST they be mentally and physically fit to make a skydive.
GET SOME, altitude!

We use a "Flare" simulator

seems like a good idea! could you provide any details on this?

@ all the others contributing: thanks for your input this far!

dudeist skydiver # 666

There's a pic here: http://www.uwesu.net/skydiveuwe/gallery06.shtml Click on the pic one in from the right on the top row.

You can see bags of shot as weights on the end of ropes going up to pulleys in the ceiling and down to the toggles. The bags are weighted to feel the same as the toggle pressure on the student canopies. These harness's also feature working cutaway systems which drop the student a foot.