lewmonst

I punched his container to get the bag out...

Just a practice jump, the evaluator actually opened around 4k and the container opened but the bag stuck. So i punched the container 4 or 5 times and the bag finally released around 3k, just as he was about to pull his cutaway handle. Prior pin check showed color, so pilot chute cocked. Post inspection show some, but not much, kill line shrinkage. He landed without incident.

Anyone else ever actually punch a student's or someone elses container on purpose?
Did I save him from more than a reserve repack? The thought of the real potential for a main/reserve entanglement had he pulled his reserve is very scary...
The funny thing was, this was the only practice jump out of about a dozen that he actually pulled for himself at 4k, and I was main side, just about to track after he threw out when I realized it wasn't opening.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I have on a couple occasions "assisted" the main out of the tray. I have also videod this a few times. We replaced all our p/c's with bigger ones and now we no longer have the problem.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Anyone else ever actually punch a student's or someone elses container on purpose?

I've had to "instructor assist" a couple from the reserve side on the old spring loaded Jav. in the 90's. The main flap would hold the pilot chute in from escaping. The only other time is when we were simulating all the malfunctions for a video. My buddy pulled his pilot chute out and held on to it, while I reached in and deployed the bag to simulate a horseshoe mally....(that one wasn't fun!!)

I've had two occations where on AFF jumps that the bag hesitated leaving the container and on both occations I was able to just grab the bridal and just give a little tug and the bag left cleanly on both occations. The student was never aware of what happened until they saw the video.
Nice job on saving the re-pack and remember to always keep your eyes wide open on AFF. You wouldn't want to miss something interesting.

We have one student rig that "delays" on occasion and yes, I have had to both pull the bridle and hit the container. I have noticed that it was more pronounced on people of a certain body type and when novice packers rotated the bag. You do not rotate the bag on new Javs. I pack everything just like wingsuit jumps: pin to grommet.

I helped a contanier open once; we were using ripcords and thick closing loops. It took a little pounding Several times I've looked over at the reserve side while we watched a PC sit in the burble, or have an odd weak launch, or once even tie itself in a knot; both of us were thinking "so do YOU want to stick your hand in that mess?" In all cases it cleared. In a few cases I remember we had PC hesitations and I stood the guy up to clear it; seemed to work.

Student I trained (in a FJC of 5) who went up with two other instructors for his AFF Level I. He (the student) was a jet pilot from France, visiting Perris, CA and wanted to learn just how to skydive and control his canopy if he ever needed to bail out of his plane....

I'm sure glad he got video!!

He was stellar in his skydive. Picture perfect! He waved and pulled exactly on time. The pc launched...bridle stretched....container opened...the d-bag didn't launch! Reserve side pounded on the side of the rig. It extracted at 3,500'.

Upon debrief the student remembered everything. The sequence. The pull. He noticed that he wasn't under canopy the 6 seconds after pulling...looked at his altimeter...looked over at his JM and saw that he was doing something. Noticed they were above 2500 and decided to let the JM do what he had to until decision altitude....

Never had such an aware student before...or since.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Had quite a few of those, but a very exiting one earlier this year.
We use spring loaded PC's for AFF in DK and this PC got stuck in the burble but after pushing it, it apparently took of. But only to fall back down on the students back. The bridle had wrapped around the top of the PC and made the PC unable to lift the bag out of the container.
Since the flaps of the main container was open I was able put my hand in under the bag and kind of throw it up in the air, where it finally took off :-)
Thought about it afterwards and properly should have grabbed the bridle and pulled the bag out of there.....
But it made out as a cool video in the evening :-)

-Carsten

Disclaimer: not an instructor...

I was told in my AFF L1 debrief that I had a hesitation and that my main side instructor assisted in deploying the bag (I tossed the PC correctly.) The reason I was given was that there is less airflow directly behind "me" the student since the three of us are displacing more air.

Scott

Disclaimer: not an instructor...

I was told in my AFF L1 debrief that I had a hesitation and that my main side instructor assisted in deploying the bag (I tossed the PC correctly.) The reason I was given was that there is less airflow directly behind "me" the student since the three of us are displacing more air.

That's exactly the reason why the main side should be out of there as soon as your pilot chute has left your hand.

Backing away from the student about 20ft to eliminate that big air displacement and allow for a clean PC launch is the correct way that it should be done.
The reserve sides job is to have a harness hold until the student is pulled from his hand.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I assume that if the PC has a kill-line that the gear being used was the evaluators personal gear, not a student rig.

IMO if your going to do the job (AFF course conductor) you need to be jumping the type of gear that a student would use. PC hesitations do occur on AFF jumps because of the HUGE burble, but obviously the chances are greater if the evaluator is using his/her 24 inch PC instead of something closer to 32 inches found in student rigs.

Good practice though. It does happen.

Canuck