bch7773

How much do you get paid to teach a FJC?

I spend £90 ($160 USD) driving to and from the DZ every weekend and get some discounted jumps instead of being paid.

But hell, it's worth it when a student bounces up to you and gives you a hug after their first jump! :)
Edit to add: (That's a SL course in the UK)

Basically I don't think I get enough to teach first jump courses, especially on a weekend, considering I can make more and also get to jump if doing tandems.

For 1-6 s/l students I get the minimum, 60$ Cdn. From 6-12 or so, I get $10 per student. Above that it gets confusing because they may bring in a secondary instructor. It works out to $120 ($10 times 12), plus $5/student after that, and the secondary instructor gets 7$ per student for the excess.

So on a class of 20 I get 120 + 40 = 160 and the secondary instructor gets $56.

I would hugely like not to have to do first jump courses on the weekends next year. In the summer I don;t mind so much if I have to do them on weekdays, but I would like to see the workload split evenly so I don't get stuck teaching all the time while someone else always does tandems...

Basically I consider myself overqualified to be stuck teaching FJC all the time. I'm better off doing coach jumps.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Ten bucks a head for S/L students, with a 30 dollar minimum. Not really worth it from my point of view, so I stick with tandems, J/M'ing, and coaching. They get enough Instructors that will do it, though, for that price, so let the market decide. I teach about once a year, hopefully on a rainy day, just to keep the rating.

$99 per student.

As an Indepented USPA Instructor and contractor, I teach the FJC at whatever time is best for the student or students.
Whether it be the weekday evenings or weekends, and not on the drop zone.

I've found working with the students, and not having them stress so much about jumping the same day you teach them ALL the FJC works good, and then a small refresher the day I jump with them has proven to have a better learning curve, doing the entire jump covering all the TLO's, and with less stress.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

That is great, and very profitibale. I had that idea once, and I figured the DZ would maybe give them a written test, and only charge the cost of a student jump. The independent contractor part, I checked in to with a local DZO first, and he said NO! That the student would pay him the $ and he would pay me $20 bucks to teach the same course. I declined.
ALSO If someone recieved training from another Instructor, and then came to this DZ, he wouldn't accept it, and force the student to take a FJC. All the while having you believe you've been taken advantage of by some unknown Instructor, and are now recieving the best possibale training around.

A DZ or the DZO can do anything they or he wants.
They are in it for the money. ;)

If your profile is correct, you may want to teach the FJC and do AFF a few years working for a DZ and have a reputable image as a quality Instructor before you try and ask the DZ if it's something they'd be willing to do.

Not all DZ's are willing to do do this.
I train my own students and jump with my own students.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I teach SL FJCs at a club, so I don't get "paid". ;) I get to claim up to £65 ($105) expenses (travel, accomodation, food) for teaching a SL FJC. That is the same whether it is 1 student, or 7 (the maximum we take per instructor). I also don't pay for jumps where I dispatch students.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I don't get paid to teach a FJC. I do not get paid to JM or Coach, i get the jump for free. I do get paid for tandems ($25 normally). I am not in it for the money. Maybe once Iretire I will try to get a DZ job where I can make a few bucks to keep up in the sport.;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

$10 a head for S/L and IAD students, with no minimum. I've taught enough of them at that price and now try to only do enough to stay current.

$50 for first student in AFF FJC and $25 for each additional student. Much more worth my time.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I agree with skypuppy, I also jump and teach at the same DZ. I am only a IA so I make less than half of the money that a IB will make, granted they do more of the work.
It is very easy to make more on Coach 2 dives and regular students than in the IA FJC role, that is why I didnt try for my IB rating.
There was more than 5 times this summer alone that I got up and came out and was turned away because there was not enough students too use me. We are suppose to get a credit of $25 on our acc. But I still wait to see that on my Acc. So I stoped showing.
FJC students are fun but I much perfer to teach a person after there first jump because they are there because they want to progress and enjoy the sport. That is why I do it not the money....Some what.
I think that all of our Instructors are very good at what they do. Unfortunitly our DZO's perfer to nickle and dime people till the get fed up and jump else where. They should know that we are the ones keeping this place running when they are too sick or too soar or there is too much too do.

I don't get paid to teach a FJC. I do not get paid to JM or Coach, i get the jump for free.

I hope they gave you the rating for free, too.

_Am

There are still a lot of small DZ's and clubs which "grow there own" instructors. Having an IE/course director on staff who does not charge anything makes that possible.

I paid for my Coach rating and am planning to pay for my SL rating and I don't/won't get paid for training jumps. I enjoy working with students and the free jump is enough payment for me! I actually got $15 to do a refresher course once, but I didn't know until I finished up and someone walked up to give me the money...I told them to keep it and jumped on the next load!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF