wsinsel

Students

Actually the other thread with freefly guy and girlfriend was the actual scenario. I viewed it as completely wrong and as far as I can see in the SIM it should not be allowed. Tom is right though. It might be legal for the DZO to allow it to occur. Still it is a slap in the face to myself as S&TA and to the other coaches and instructors who worked very hard to achieve their ratings. Ultimately I resigned my S&TA position. The SIM clearly states that I am responsible for making certain that the guidelines are followed. I'm not willing to take the chance that nothing will ever happen. Also, it sets an important precedent at the DZ. Now everyone has seen my authority circumvented by the DZO and they all know my safety concerns mean little or nothing to them. If freefly guy can do it for his girlfriend, then why can't anyone else do as they wish? Next question is where do you draw the line? Not to be ridiculous but if a non-rated guy can put people out then is it ok for say an "A" licensed jumper to coach? Can we just put students on any load and expect the people on the load to oversee their jump?

USPA provides guidelines so we have something to follow. Nothing is legal or not.........that is until a lawyer explains it to a jury.
"It's very important at this point that you don't simply become a passenger." Flight instructor Dennis Anderson speaking about life and crosswind landings.

The SIM clearly states that I am responsible for making certain that the guidelines are followed... [M]y authority [as an S&TA was] circumvented.

The "A" in S&TA is for advisor. I couldn't find any place in the SIM where it stated an S&TA had any authority. I did find this in SIM Section 1: "The S&TA is a local jumper who is available on your dropzone to provide you with administrative services and information." And in the SIM Glossary: "A local person ... available to provide advice and administrative assistance." The previous version of S&TA was called "Area Safety Officer" or "Club Safety Officer," and the job title was changed to reflect a different role: advisor, not enforcer.

I see the S&TA-DZO relationship as a cooperative one, and in most cases we can work things out. Got an unrated guy who wants to coach his SO? How about pointing out the "A" license requirements, and suggesting that the best course of action is to develop the skills necessary for the "A" license exam?

Does the DZO want a general policy that allows unrated but otherwise qualified jumpers to coach? Draft a waiver while you point out that the coach program is the source of new instructors, but remember that if the DZO chooses a course of action that reduces his pool of future instructors, that his stupid choice to make, not yours.

>> If a non-rated guy can put people out...
If a student is cleared for self-supervision, then having a more experienced jumper on the load helping with organizing and spotting is a good thing.

>> Is it ok for an "A" licensed jumper to coach?
If he or she has the skills, why not? I'd prefer only rated coaches, but if the DZO and I agreed that an unrated someone was qualified, I'd have no problem with a waiver.

>> Can we just put students on any load and expect the people on the load to oversee their jumps?
Ask Bill Booth how many jumps his FJC instructor had!
Seriously, though. We agree that qualified folks should supervise student operations. The questions should be, " How can we cooperatively manage the necessary degree of supervision?"

Mark

The S&TA does have power to suspend ratings for 30 days. I don't know if it has been done. I would not want to do that without prior consultation from my RD, but you never know.

As touched on earlier, to have someone work as a coach (without a rating), A waiver must be FILED ahead of time with USPA and a copy to the RD. It is not a blanket 'you can work with him today'.

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.