cpoxon

Tandem Instructors: What do you write on student's certificates?

At my home dropzone it is common practice for the tandem instructor to at least write their name on their student's certificate and their certificate number (we don't have Licenses in the UK). The student's name and the date is usually already printed on the certificate, if not I'll write it in the space provided myself. I also like to put Protrack information down there; exit altitude, time in freefall, average speed. If they haven't had video I'll add a bit of plane-spotter information such as the make, model and designation of the aircraft we just jumped out of. I always write a personal comment such as well done, or excellent, or something pertinant such as "Happy Birthday".

I love to do this as I feel it really personalises it, but I wonder if some people thinks it is messy and ruins a nicely printed certificate?! Some of the instructors at my dropzone put the minimum signature down usually because they are rushing to pack for the next load or I guess it gets a bit much after x thousand certificates! Even though it can be a rush, I'll always take the time to write it, explain what I've written and also what else is included in the pack (the BPA's excellent Starter Mag - explaining what skydiving is as a sport and how to get into it, as well as discount vouchers and souvenir information), even if I'm in a rush, but then I've only done just over 150 tandems in my first year. I never pre-sign a certificate before the jump as some of the instructors do; I'm not normally superstitious, but in this case I am!

At another dropzone I've occasionally worked at, the students collect their certificates from manifest and not the instructor, and it's not common practice for it to be signed by the instructor. I'll get the student to come and find me so I can sign it. You never know, they may come back and it will count towards their log.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

We use a professional 8 1/2 x 11" certificate that we have printed up. We then apply a custom label with their name on it which we affix in the space provided. The school manager/owner signs in the bottom left spot and the tandem instructor signs in the bottom right spot. We generally put our D-license numbers on there beside our name.

We use a professional 8 1/2 x 11" certificate that we have printed up. We then apply a custom label with their name on it which we affix in the space provided. The school manager/owner signs in the bottom left spot and the tandem instructor signs in the bottom right spot. We generally put our D-license numbers on there beside our name.

SD Aggieland does something very similar, except we print out the certificate on "certificate paper" and then the TI signs it. Under the signature is the TI's name and D number.

:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I love to do this as I feel it really personalises it, but I wonder if some people thinks it is messy and ruins a nicely printed certificate?!

I also comment and sign under the comment on the back of the certificate. That way they can frame it without a messy front, but can always pop out the certificate to look or show if they like.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

So the emphasis is on the quality of the paper rather than the TI's input? ;-P

It's all about the paper. :P

We just sign the certificate. The logbook is for the comments.

I like the comment on the back idea.

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

I did a tandem video no so long ago where we decided to use the C182 instead of the Caravan for the jump. This meant that the exit altitude would be 10k instead of 14k.

Due to confusion and a pilot that sinks link hell on climb out, the exit altitude was in the end 8k.[:/]

I always film the certificate at the end of the jump for the video and guess what altitude was on the certificate? Yep 14k. :o

It took some nifty video editing to get everything matched up in the end :)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

So the emphasis is on the quality of the paper rather than the TI's input? ;-P

On the certificate? Absolutely. Ours are totally suitable for framing.

What he said.

Ours our pre-printed certificates, we use the laser printer to put the name on there in script, and we just sign them. We give them to the student with a bumper sticker with our phone number for their car, and a brochure about tandem skydiving and the AFF program. Then we ask them to sign our logbooks while we harness up the next one.

We give them to the student with a bumper sticker with our phone number for their car, and a brochure about tandem skydiving and the AFF program

Yup. Same here. Its a hell of a lot of fun to see random cars around the area with a SD Aggieland sticker on them. I'm starting to see more and more of them.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In addition to the certificate I give each of my students a 5 minute VCD containing a fast paced movie featuring tandems and other forms of jumping. They're dirt cheap to make and quick too. My biggest expense is the LABEL. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

We have a professionally printed certificate which is then printed overtop with the details like student's name and jump height , date and Tandem Masters name etc. We always hand these to the jumper personally and sign them also if asked. Also a popular thing with us is bought T shirts are signed by both the Tandem Master and the Video dude/ette if they were on the jump. -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Ours our pre-printed certificates, we use the laser printer to put the name on there in script, and we just sign them. We give them to the student with a bumper sticker with our phone number for their car, and a brochure about tandem skydiving and the AFF program. Then we ask them to sign our logbooks while we harness up the next one.

Our's aren't pre-printed, we just print them with an inkjet. Instructor and video sign and put D numbers, and I occasionally write pro-track data on the back. We give them their certificate along with a bumper sticker and a coupon for a local sports bar & grill that will get them cheap food/drinks and let them play their video on the big screen. I then have them write something about the jump in my logbook and send them on their way.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)