NSEMN8R

TI's-- Do you get tipped?

Shut up, Remi.

:P

That said, it is very different from culture to culture.

I tried to tip one of my packers in Sweden and she would have none of it. Insisted on giving me exact change.

My other packer would let me round up small amounts, but returned change if it was around 50 crowns. (Just over $5, if I'm doing the conversion right) and that's for a whole DAY of packing.

I never expect tips, but they are appreciated.

I've not been tipped once in my 155 tandems and I wouldn't expect it either. I think it would be quite rare for a Tandem Instructor to be tipped her in the UK. I don't know if that is because of the culture or the fact that a tandem here costs in excess of $400 (not including video or stills) so people think they have already paid enough! I also get paid approximately $70 per tandem (but the cost of living here is proportionately higher). I hear that at the tandem factories in Hawaii where they get a lot of Japanese tourists they have little mailboxes set up for the students to leave their tips in?

Having said that, I have occasionally received thank-you cards in my short tandem career which I find more rewarding than a tip :-)
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Like Chuck said, nobidy says a word about tips at Raeford, but they do happen. I get tipped now and again, and I am very appreciative of it. I try and go the extra mile to make the student's experience far exceed their expectations . . . not so I get a tip, but so they get the maximum personal benefit from what will likely be the only skydive they ever make.
Arrive Safely

John

Having said that, I have occasionally received thank-you cards in my short tandem career which I find more rewarding than a tip :-)

Oh hell yeah! I've recieved a couple as well, talk about really lighting up your day! Sure a $20 is nice, but a card that someone sat down and wrote about their experience and thanked you...that really makes me feel happy.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I happen to jump in an incredibly touristy area and get tips on 90% of all my tandems. They range anywhere from $20 to $100. A good way to promote tipping is to have a guest book for your students to sign. Keep the guestbook open flat. On one side, have a place for them to write their name, where they're from, comments, etc... and on the other side have something printed out like..." just like waiters, waitresses, and bartenders, our instructors rely on most of their income from gratuity. Although not expected, tips are appreciated." Play with it a bit to see what works. Also, remember, it will depend a lot on the geographic location of your dz. Hope it helps.

As a tandem student I never even thought about tipping the intstructor. I was already paying 180 or so for the jump. Not cheap. As someone who was unfamiliar with the sport for all I knew the instructor was getting most of what I was paying. I saw my TI as a teacher and it NEVER even entered my mind tip him. I tip waitresses , barstaff, my hairstylist, etc. Didn' t know that TI's fell into that group. I did , however, write the DZO a letter on how wonderful my experience was.

I like the letters also, much more than the tips, although my nine-old daughter likes the tips since she gets to go to TCBY a little more often. The tips are easy, the letters mean someone actually took some time out to thank you for the experience they had. It still amazes me how much we can influence someone's life!
blue skies,

art

I'm an eye doc, blows my mind just how many times I've been offered tips. Freaking weird. Patients assume that because I give a damn about them as people and bend over backwards for them that I deserve it. I think I'm just doing my job the way it's supposed to be done. They are already paying me, why take more? Ethically, I can't bring myself to accept it. My most prized possession is a picture that a 4 year old drew for me. This kid had the living shit beat out of him by his dad and has had a rich history of skull/brain surgery as a result. His mom was my patient, but I played with him a bit too during the exam, explaining everything to him. He went out to the waiting room, borrowed some paper and found a marker, and drew a picture of me. It melted my heart. That means more to me than money ever could.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Out of about 1600 tandems, I recall frequent tips, from "here's a beer on us later" to a hundred dollar tip "NASTY function, tip-toe landing with a fourth time repeat student.
The BEST by FAR was up in Nashua NH, four months AFTER taking a hot little russian 19 yr old chick married to a dude about 70 yrs. old. "internet thingy maybe?"
Last week of the season driving bored in the rain, in The middle of a full week of rain, I pull into what I thought was a sports bar.
I sat down to order a bud light, andf BEHOLD a nude russian beauty pops up in front of me asking what I'll have! I look at her & say, "darn you look like a skydiver chick I know!"
She blushes, and asks " what are you doing here?" I explain that I accidentally thought it was a sports bar, only to find out is is the BEST type of sports bar!
A few minutes later her sugar daddy shows up, and tells me the whole house is ON THE HOUSE, free booze, food girls the whole SHMEAR!
Well about ten hours later, I get a limo ride home to the DZ and one of the bouncers following in my truck.
I wish I could say it was an unforgettable experience, but the booze had something to say about that.
What I DO remember, is that I didn't have to tip at all!!
PS; the "sugar daddy is one that had laid a c-note on me for "taking care of his baby"
funny note, that gal was so hot, I'd have bought the tandem FOR her!
Shotz!

I think maybe some of the differences of opinion are that some people think of it as going for a ride, while others (like you and me) think of it as education by an instructor.
I never thought of tipping my TM because I agree that it isn't a "service" type of thing. Also I thought he was getting more of my $180 bucks. (But I did write him a letter to tell him how much I enjoyed it and that I'd be back to continue my training. :)
I could see if people are just going for a joy ride, and the TM gives them a great ride then they might feel like tipping. If they do, then great.
It sounds like most TM's don't expect it, so thats good. I agree too many people expect tips for their daily work.

My two cents...
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

well...my first 5 jumps have been tandems...

so..i tipped my TI $20 every jump untill he told me i dont need to tip him anymore..which was at the finish of my forth jump..

by my fifth jump i had developed a semi relationship with him and for some reason i just felt like i didnt need to tip him anymore...besides everytime i came i came with at least 1 (sometimes 3 or 4) extra people that wanted to jump with him and i told them all to tip him $20...so he got some nice tippage from me and my peoples

i was supposed to make my first few aff jumps for the past 3 weeks but the weather has been terrible...i took a week off from work this week...and im hopig i can get a couple of jumps in during my time off...plus..its my birthday weekend..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

One place I used to work as a TI had a prominent (but nevertheless tasteful display) of: "Tips, never expected, always appreciated!" It made a difference and netted us TIs 10 and 20ies once in a while; up from zilch before.

Different place, no sign. Had a gentleman in his 50ies and we talked about the impending birth of my son on the way to altitude. After landing, he put something into the palm of hands and stated: "This is for your son." When I opened my fist, there was a $100 note.

That truely meant more than I can ever express...and especially because it was not a tip for me.

"I have a better question for all you TM's out there. Do you share any tips you get with the camera person?" I split any tips I get with my packers and vidiots if he did not get tipped as well. I agree that the best tip I get is when the mother/father/spouse/child of my student comes up and thanks me for taking care of them. I really get a kick out of seeing someone I took on a tandem before return and request me! That being said, I do get the occasional tip, usually from someone who is in arizona on vacation.

Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

It's really great to see this thread because I have been stressing for a few months about the proper etiquette for showing my gratitude to my TI and Camera Flyer. I've seen a number of responses but still can't discern what is best: tipping, booze, gift certificates for meals, sending thank you cards or other gifts?

For all the TIs out there who haven't been tipped. It could be that the person (as in my case) didn't have cash with them at the time and/or were so completely disoriented and pie-eyed afterwards that they weren't able to think straight, let alone remember to tip.

One more thing for the TIs: Thanks so much for all that you do to improve the lives of total strangers! Ya'll are amazing!
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving! ~ Patrick Dennis' Auntie Mame

For all the TIs out there who haven't been tipped. It could be that the person (as in my case) didn't have cash with them at the time and/or were so completely disoriented and pie-eyed afterwards that they weren't able to think straight, let alone remember to tip.

If you were also smiling I consider that the best tip. Cash is usually spent immeadiately on beer and or hard alcohol of choice, which is also good.;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

As a tandem student I never even thought about tipping the intstructor. I was already paying 180 or so for the jump. Not cheap. As someone who was unfamiliar with the sport for all I knew the instructor was getting most of what I was paying. I saw my TI as a teacher and it NEVER even entered my mind tip him. I tip waitresses , barstaff, my hairstylist, etc. Didn' t know that TI's fell into that group. I did , however, write the DZO a letter on how wonderful my experience was.

Ever eat at a fancy resturant? Pay $100 or more for the meal? Did you still tip your waitstaff?

Its not too late to drop your TI a tip now - I went from 80K annual to making $35 bucks a jump, without the tips I would have starved even more - after years of chasing the $$$'s, I sure like life much more now that I am skydiving everyday.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…