1 1
JJohnson

1st injured student: Any other ideas on getting legs up and out?

Just yesterday I had three students in a row that were like jello. They could not get their legs up even a few inches. I spent from 5000 feet to 1000 trying every trick in the book. I am begining to think I am cursed with extremley out of shape people.
At 5 foot 4 inches I really cannot use my legs to grab theirs.

I have been able to loosen the leg straps, but some people even then cannot get the leg straps down their thighs even a few inches. Is the general public really that poorly conditioned?

However I do find that turning our bodies on landing to slide in backwards does a good job as a last resort.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I have been able to loosen the leg straps, but some people even then cannot get the leg straps down their thighs even a few inches. Is the general public really that poorly conditioned?

The answer to that question is yes, sadly.

I saw a rather "round" woman not able/willing to pick her legs up below the knee last weekend on landing, I didn't see the impact though since a bunch of people stood up in front of me to watch the inevitable face-plant.

Wasn't there a thread a while ago regarding suggesting minimum physical requirements for tandems? Anyway, if you can't lift your own legs, you probably shouldn't be jumping out of planes, tandem or otherwise... just my n00bish $0.02.

Although with the obesity rate climbing at a steady rate, maybe someone at RWS should work on a special tandem harness for fatties. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

How about a line from their ankles attached to the harness that we can pull to get their legs up?

I have used something similar attached to the chest strap for parapalegic tandem students. The other thing I do is because we have Sigma's (light toggle pressure), I have the student grab the grippers on the leg strap to help them straighten their legs.

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

Im real straight with them.....

feet up and forward = sitting at home after the jump drinking beer watching your video or feet down and back = sitting in the hospital with broken bones

seems to work with nobody running away screaming to date

flipper

you know after telling them to arch out the door and all that good stuff legs up on landing and all... I usually tell them that if they forget everything else it doesnt matter, i'll take care of it, but there is nothing I can do to help them with the legs, if they dont pick em up they'll break em.

That being said, I had a student, heavy lady that couldn't lift hers at all, she did great in the ground but in the air she insisted that it hurt and she couldnt do it. I told her that in order to not break em she needed to put her feet on top of mine and keep em there at all times. she actually did this, and I slid her in on top of my feet, and it worked, it was by far the toughest slide ever but she we both walked away from it.

How about a line from their ankles attached to the harness that we can pull to get their legs up?

I have used something similar attached to the chest strap for parapalegic tandem students.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A guy from Quebec actually got a US patent for that sort of strap. His idea was to pre-tension leg muscles for PLFs.

Apparently some US Army HAHO instructors use a similar strap for long canopy rides. HAHO instructors simply tie a piece of suspension line to their chest rings, then stand on it after opening. That puts their weight on their feet, instead of their inner thighs.

A similar strap would work for flabby tandem students IF you could convince them to push down on the strap: pre-tensioning leg muscles for a PLF. But I am afraid that flabby students will merely use it like the footrest on their Barca-lounger.
Hee!
Hee!