cpoxon

Tandem floating ripcord video

Not sure whether to put this here or in Photography and Video! I've just approved an interesting video on skydivingmovies where the cameraman locates a floating ripcord and hands it back to the instructor, who after failing to reattach it to the harness, decides to deploy it whilst still holding on to it! You can see it here. Cool!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yeah, I thought so too.

So, let's make this more of an instructors thread. It looks like there is a secondary drogue release on the cutaway pad. What would you have done? Worried about the primary or gone straight to the secondary? My drill is unable to locate primary, locate secondary. I hadn't considered what I would do if the cameraguy handed the primary to me! But then, we don't put the handle on students in the UK so that would be improbable. Deployment is about 60 seconds after exit so it would appear to be getting "down there". Difficult to tell but I'd say it looks about 5000 feet. Can't make out what it says on the student's altimeter. Watching it again, I like the little wave-off the instructor gives underneath the student! Don't mean any disrespect to the instructor, I think he did a great job! Just interested in what others think.

Looks like the release uses a Fastex clip to attach it. Is this a common method of securing the handle? I've only ever seen it with velcro and poppers.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

OK, I'm not a tandem instructor but…

That rig is a Strong, yes/no?

The handle that was floating was the 'student' handle?

Would there have not been an 'instructor' release? And, if so why would an instructor not just activate using the instructor handle?

Just curious.
Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

That rig is a Strong, yes/no?

Yes, I would strongly believe so.

The handle that was floating was the 'student' handle?

Yes again, but I know a large number of strong tandem masters who use it as their primary, even when it is attached to the student harness.

Would there have not been an 'instructor' release? And, if so why would an instructor not just activate using the instructor handle?

Yes again, and your guess is as good as mine. Although until the videoman gave him the ripcord, I think he had made up is mind to use the other one. Then again, that is just my opinon.
blue skies,

art

That was me.

Strong rig.

Student handle was floating and I did have the instructors handle on my rig.

I felt the loose handle flop by right after exit or right after the drogue throw. Checked my handles and confirmed that the student handle was floating.

I had plenty of time so I thought I would see if I could reach it. Couldn't. Then docjohn flew in and handed it to me. Cool. Since I had it I figured I might as well use it.

Hey Doc, you didn't really save my life but I still owe you a couple cold ones.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

Man that was a sweet video. I am glad it worked out OK. The student was probable oblivious to the whole situation. Good job to the camera flyer.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

On the Strong student harness' we use have the option of clipping their ripcord on thier hip or chest strap. I prefer the hip (the chest strap slides up and down). The other is fixed on the TI's harness outboard on the main lift web below the cutaway handle.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

Just saw the video..nice job all around.

As a side note, when I hook up the student, I first do both side laterals and then feed the student ripcord underneath the side laterals and clip it into the student harness.

That way, when we tighten up, the ripcord housing is pinned between the student and the lateral. If the stitching holding it in place breaks or it comes undone it has a chance of staying looped under the side lateral and it won't end up floating on your back where you can't reach it.

Also, this decreases the chance of snagging the housing on something on your way out the door.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

If I were the TI I'd be unhappy about the camera flyer interfering. He put himself in unecessary danger by getting so close. At one point the reserve container fills the view of his camera. What if there had been a deployment? Tandem burbles are no joke either, when close and above it's pretty easy to get sucked on top of the pair, and contact with the rig could cause a deployment.

The instructor has multiple main deployment handles for a reason. If you're not the TI in command, don't mess with his or her skydive. Signal to them the best you can but stay away from their equipment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If I were the TI I'd be unhappy about the camera flyer interfering.

Well, that's an interesting slant on the situation. I guess I could have just pointed and looked scared. Lord knows what he'd have thought I was trying to say. I'd sure have felt like shit if something had entangled with the trailing ripcord. Slim chance? Probably. Anyway, my judgement call was to take action and 'interfere'.

But I respect your opinion. And that's what this forum is for.

Anyone else think I did the TI wrong?
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

I'll just throw this out there, I am not trying to slam you. You were "in the moment" and made a decision. Glad it worked out, as tandems are a scary proposition when thisgs go "right" As you said, that's my opinion.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more reason I love the Sigma System!:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would tend to side with diablopilot here.

A simple wave off from the camera person would indicate to tandem instructor that there was a problem. It could be floating handles - container opening but definately that the normal dive is over and that there is a problem which needs to be addressed.

A simple recheck of handles and look around by instructor would then have found the problem.

Having external jumpers assist (albeit with good intent) is really asking for a problem. On strong's you'd only need to move ripcord a couply of inches to get a deployment. A 3rd party being in wrong place at wrong time can be fatal for them or tandem.

Its not camera persons role to start touching the tandem gear (and trying to help out) - its the instructors. Thats what they are trained and paid to do.

As it was it all worked out good - so no harm done.