tqsmile

Tandem exits

Which is the better way to exit?
Grabbing your student's legs with yours or not, as you leave the aircraft

That's sort of a loaded question. If properly trained, I would say atleast 90% of tandem students will have their legs up and back. Of the 10% or so that don't, 9% will still be flyable.

So my opinion and what I do is just fly the exit, locking the student's legs on exit doesn't really help promote a good instructor arch, which can combat many problems, but be prepared to leg lock your student if needed.

Obviously, you're going to have to play around a bit and figure out what works best for you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Which is the better way to exit?
Grabbing your student's legs with yours or not, as you leave the aircraft

I would rather expend my energy making MY exit position the best it can be rather than waisting time, energy, and effort compromising my body position to fix a students poor position. I can "fly" bad students, but a bad student will "fly" me only if I let them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would rather expend my energy making MY exit position the best it can be rather than wasting time, energy, and effort compromising my body position to fix a students poor position. I can "fly" bad students, but a bad student will "fly" me only if I let them.

Amen to that. I fly the exit, regardless of the student's body position. Unless the student creates an orientation for us as a pair that makes it unsafe for me to throw the drogue, I won't make any corrections to the student until the drogue is out and I have completed my handle check. 95% of them have gotten squared away by then anyway, remembering what I trained them to do on the ground.

Most of the videos I have seen of poor drogue throws have been caused by a TM that is in a hurry to get the drogue out.
Arrive Safely

John