AggieDave

TM poll: student jumpsuits

Alright, another TM poll.

Do you, as a TM, put your students in jumpsuits?

For me, generally no, unless they're not dressed in appropiate jumping type clothes.

Although we got a handful of Dickies "jumpsuits" for when the landing area is muddy (and standing up becomes a slippery/tricky mess).

My outlook is, for one, they don't really need a jumpsuit and its an added cost for operation in the near and long term (suit upkeep).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How would a jumpsuit help them in a crash?

Sliding in a landing maybe, however, if they had to take their jeans off to get into the jumpsuit, then what have we accomplished, since jeans would probably provide more protection then most jumpsuits.

If its truely a crash, then you'll get to cut your jumpsuit off your student, or the EMTs will.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I put them in a freefly suit or an old RW suit. I've never once seen a student that had to take clothes off to get into a jumpsuit.

Even the best TM some times can't stand up a landing and I don't want to get their clothes dirty with grass stains or mud. Thats what a jump suit is for.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We have a pretty good selection of jumpsuits to put our tandems in. It's always fun to explain what the grippers are for...

Some tandem masters keep a supply of sweatpants to have their students throw on when it's really muggy. That way, they have something to protect their street clothes on the bottom, but can go in their T-shirts and stay relatively cool.

Depends on the conditions and the time of year. During the winter, we do it for the warmth and the likelihood of landing on slightly muddy ground. During the summer, the same ground has little bits of dry grass and 11 varieties of weeds with shit that sticks to you, and is hard as concrete, so we MAY put them in suits depending on the conditions.

Plus, we got these really cool German Air Force jumpsuits from a surplus place, so they get to look like Luftwaffe pilots or something. Ugly as hell, but most people like them, damned if I can figure out why.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

At Raeford we put all students in jumpsuits - the slicker the better. If they are wearing jeans, we'll have them take them off and put the jumpsuit on over their skivvies.

Reasoning: what they wear is consistent, safe, and not theirs if it gets dirty or torn. Some versions of street clothes are safe, but much less predictable than knowing we have a jumpsuit.
Arrive Safely

John

Put em' in jumpsuits.

Image is a huge part of generating more business.

Jumpsuits look profesional.

Jumpsuits prevent people from damaging or dirtying their clothes. One less negative thing for them to possibly tell their friends about.

Jumpsuits can prevent minor injuries like cuts and scrapes.

Jumpsuits when properly selected help the tandem instructor maintain control, and assist the cameraflyer and instructor TEAM!

They are every bit as important as not letting your students jump in sandals, or without gloves on a winter day.

There are at least 2 jumpsuit manufacturers that will make GREAT deals to DZ on student suit because they know that what people start jumping, they keep jumping.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Elsinore uses jumpsuits as well. . .its fun to watch the tandem students strut around in the suit and harness. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Sorry, maybe I should explain a little better. I used to ride sport bikes before I took up skydiving. The group of guys I rode with and I used to say dress for the crash, not the cruise, meaning you dress for the unexpected, leathers, boots, gaunlet gloves, helmet, ect. I would rather my student have every advantage in the event things go bad or just for a slide in landing. Maybe the jumpsuit could save a little skin or prevent a laceration. I know from experience that a jumpsuit can help in some situations. Funny side note, USPA came out with an article a couple of years ago titled "Dress For The Crash, Not The Cruise"B|

I have a pretty big jumpsuit, fits over most peoples clothes:o

I usally put them in a long sleeve t shirt and a pair of freefly type pants, I made up a few diffrent styles of pants (american flag, hawiian, and solid blue) one of those with a soild color top loks like a suit and they get to play dress up.
Since I am so small in size i try not to have them in anything to baggy, so old RW suits are very nice to me as well.
And once again my size plays a rold and I have alot of tall guys try to land before me, so they can get dirty.. but I usally stay clean.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I use jumpsuits for my students 99% of the time. I prefer them in tighter suits, as it gives me more control. I want to have all the wings, not give them to my student. On occasion, in the heat of summer, I'll let em go in shirts and a T-shirt if they wish, but they know upfront that thay may get ripped, torn, muddied, grass stain, and their legs may get scratched up. I prefer the suit, it's safer in case of an off landing.

Ganja