sneaky

Cyprus Tandem Fatality Long time ago..

Do any of the old timers remember the Tandem that bounced in Cyprus doing a TV show ? do you know the exact details or know where I can get hold of the video....Im interested as on my Tandem Course this was mentioned and I am dumbfounded as too how this guy fucked up so bad...

I saw the video of this on my course 2 months ago. It was the BPA's copy but I think it's unlikely they'd let anyone have one? Do the course again and you'll get to see it :-S

I'm pretty sure this fatality is the one listed as #18 on the Worldwide Tandem Parachuting Fatalities :

Incident # Rating Tandem Jumps Total Jumps Overview

18 NR ? ? No drogue release. Out-of-sequence deployment.

There are more details on page 105 on the Tandem Vector Manual where it is listed as #16:

Currency unknown (not rated by Relative Workshop)

Exit with videoman at 8200'. Threw Droguie in stable position. Performed a practice pull on drogue release handle. Appeared not to find the handle and got very nervous. (Video clearly shows the handle was in the correct location). Frantic arm movements began and he pulled main bridle with right hand and opened the main container; mainbag came out. he then pulled cutaway handle and manually pulled both main risers off the rings. Then pulled the reserve ripcord. Reserve pilot chute and freebag entangled with the main. Drogue release handle was found still in its place and could be easily removed during post-accident investigation.

From what I remember, the tandem student was not attached in the plane (Porter) as the "instructor" was dispatching students. When she was attached, it was done fairly slackly. Neither of the pair were wearing goggles either. Subsequently, the student's position was not particularly conducive. The "instructor" was an experienced jumper (~500 jumps?) who had bought a rig (Atom?) despite being neither trained nor rated. He'd already done a couple of tandems that day and had more signed up. The student was the Mayor's daughter and a local beauty queen, and it may also have been taking place at some sort of air-show, which is why the ground footage of the pair going in and the following debacle was broadcast on live television :-o. The handling of the scene and victims by the so-called "authorities" is a lesson in incident maganement in itself.

BSBD
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Craig

Also seen the vid of this incident.....the list of things this guy done wrong is quite extensive...

student not attached while he despatched

student very loose when attached
no goggles
he pulled every handle...nnot in sequence if i remember correctly...the only handle he didnt pull was the reserve..!
he also had a pull on a few bits of harness webbing as well

like you said this guy was a tosser ...and unfort he took someone else with him..

can get more detail if you require it

flipper

my local DZ has a copy of the vid...it gets used as part of the ' education' for potential Tandem instructors.

when i did my tandem rating (UK) it was shown along with other vids as part of the course

As for getting a copy....I'll ask ...cant gaurentee it though

Im also pretty sure theres quite a few copies of this around the world....it has to be of the few incidents thats caught on vid from exit to impact...both in air and from the ground..

I have to add that this vid is one that i will happily never watch again