slotperfect

Tandem Instructor Poll: Instructor Helmets

Once again, I'm the newbie with only about 50 tandem jumps...

Nice disclaimer! :P

I wanted to point out that "newbie" tandem masters are a great source of up-to-date information and techniques, having come straight from spending some up-close-and-personal time with a Tandem Examiner. So far, you have shown yourself to be a prime example of that. Thanks for your input!
Arrive Safely

John

I've worn a frap hat on all 20 of my tandems with real students (it's the legal minimum requirement in the UK, for the students also). In my previous 900 jumps, I'd never worn a frap hat (except when I went on the front of a couple of tandems for currency jumps). On my course I wore a full face (Oxygn) with the visor removed (as that is what I was used to when not wearing a camera as helmets are required in the UK) but I found it made it difficult to converse with the "student" so I switched to a frap hat when doing it for real. I'd like something with a bit more protection that also allows me to hear under canopy so I'm thinking about a half-shell. Does anyone know how well they hold up to freefall? Another issue is attaching an audible but that shouldn't be too difficult (I'm thinking cable tie a bracket between the straps that pass either side of the ear)

There seems to be a lot of Tandem Instructor related threads recently, which as a newly qualified one I'm happy to see, but it wouldn't it be cool to have a separate Tandem forum for instructors? John mooted it before but nothing came of it. I wasn't interested then; I am now! :-)

Edit to add: an experience instructor also recommended I go back to the full face since my geeking the camera was taking the focus away from the student in the video! I think he was joking...

like something with a bit more protection that also allows me to hear under canopy so I'm thinking about a half-shell.

I used one for about 50 jumps. It held up just fine, the only problem is that it had a problem with trying to rock back on my head in freefall, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I quit jumping with it when I got my Mindwarp, but no other reason besides I just got a new helmet. Well, that and you sort of look like a wanna be x-games skateboarder or something wearing one...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It held up just fine, the only problem is that it had a problem with trying to rock back on my head in freefall, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Yeah, that's really what I meant. The stability of it on one's head in freefall. Worried about it slipping around. What brand was yours? ProTec?

I'd like a chrome ProTec or Blokart :-)

It was some off-brand pro-tec that a local skateboard shop had, I can't remember the actual brand, though.

If you put it side-by-side with the ProTec half-shell, it'd be hard to tell them apart.

I'm in the same boat as AD... I've got 63 tandems and I've worn Frap hats, FF helmets and Protecs (just to try it.)

I have found that for my comfort and protection of my noggin', I like the frap hat. It protects me from bumpin' around in the 182 (just enough to prevent bleeders.) Although it has been stated that FH's don't really protect (some say) I like them and feel that they comfortable enough for use.

Strong requires some type of protection, and frap hats fit the bill for me.

Strong requires some type of protection

Please clarify: does Strong "require" some kind of head protection, or does he "recommend" it??

RWS "recommends" at least a frap hat for both Tandem Master. I have had that discussion with reps from their company. There is no"requirement" from RWS in this area.

I have heard of a movement afoot in USPA to "require" a helmet for both Tandem Instructor and Tandem Student. I have not gotten clear on how I feel about this one yet.
Arrive Safely

John

have heard of a movement afoot in USPA to "require" a helmet for both Tandem Instructor and Tandem Student.

This was supposed to be addressed at the last BOD meeting. They ran out of time and didn't actually get to that point on their agenda, so as it stands, the USPA only recommends that both parties have atleast some sort of protection on.

During the course that I attended, it was required that both passenger and instructor wore "some type of head protection." It was highly recommended to me by an examiner to always wear something. I have since followed that lead. I'm pretty sure that USPA only recommends, but I hit my head enough in the 182 to know that I need something all of the time.

I have worn ProTecs for my last 2,000 tnadems.
Early on I tried jumping bare-headed, but found it too F***ing LOUD.
Then I wore a frap hat for 300 jumps. The frap hat kept my ears warm and made a great Dytter mount, but I quit wearing it after a solo PLF gave me bruises all up the left side of my head, including the left side of my head.
After Steve almost lost an ear three years ago (while wearing a frap hat), Pitt Meadows TIs standardized on ProTecs or Bone Head FF helmets.
I also remember Richard getting knocked silly by a Strong riser.
Strong risers occaissionally whack me behind the ear.

I wonder what the incidence of riser slap is on other models?

I usually wear my Gath Helmet when doing tandems. I find it especially good when moving around in the 182. A few times i have had to slide my head around the inside of the cabin with big students attached.

It also doesn't seem to want to break after coming off at 9000ft.........:S

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Nvertigo freefly helmet. Among other things mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it really cuts down on the NOISE in the plane and the freefall.

Be good to your ears, guys. All that engine noise and freefall blast WILL damage your hearing over time. I have noticed a difference in my hearing since i first started jumping 11 years ago (and it's not ALL from old age! :)

Frap hat - Several years ago I went the "cool and groovy" style of hatless - after hard riser slaps to both ears, went back to frap hat.

I wear a frap hat.

I'm curious to see what the majority of fellow Tandem Instructors wear?

Feel free to post your tandem jump experience and opinions . . .

A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

I wear a PROTEC helmet. If you've ever gone over backwards when the ground crew couldn't be there to catch you on high wind days, you know that you'll need good protection. My helmet has kept me safe many a time.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

If you've ever gone over backwards when the ground crew couldn't be there to catch you on high wind days, you know that you'll need good protection.

That's why after I've determined I've got a canopy I'm going to land, and I've setup the student for the ride down, I disconnect the RSL.

If the ground crew isn't there on a windy day, and I can't get the student unhooked fast enough, so we're about to go over...CACHINK, ground cutaway. I'd MUCH rather have to spend 10 minutes hooking the canopy back up for my packer then get my ass dragged by the canopy (more importantly, get the student drug with me).

Of course, if I can get the student unhooked quick enough, then it doesn't matter. I can control the canopy quite easily, just like a sport canopy.

I concur with the procedure you've described too.
In the 15 years I've been doing tandems, I've only had to cutaway on the ground once and that was when we landed 1.5 miles from the DZ due to a horrendous spot and wind change.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

I don't wear a helmet, except when I freefly. (I'm a novice)

In 3900 plus dives, of which 750 plus are tandems - I've never bumped my head on anything.

I do wear gloves though, and shoes, and don't jump in shorts or a T-shirt cos of frommeling a couple of swoops... so maybe if I hit my head on something and it didn't kill me... I'd wear a helmet after that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.