Skyrose7

packing

I just learned how to pack (I just got my first rig). I am kind of nervous to jump my own packing, and haven't even gotten a chance to jump my rig yet. Am I being a wuss? I would think it would be better to have my rig packed for me the first few jumps...
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

That will change as you get more confidence in your abilities and more knowledge of the equipment. Personally, I don't like using packers. I much prefer to know whats in my rig. Maybe it's just because I was forced to jump rigger packed stuff in the military that had been on a shelf or drug around for lord knows how long.....Jump your pack job! Get some supervision the first 4-5 times so you know it's right.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

If you're worried about it, pull high. Pull around 5k, if you want. Just be sure as hell to tell everyone on your load about it, they may end up putting you out last just to keep things safe since you'd be pulling high.:)Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Thanks, I think I will definately have some supervision packing. I just hope they're patient. I have been practicing(one of the measures of sanity I have taken for the winter), but there are so many sneaky lines that I just don't want to cross over.

If you own the canopy and its not something like a Hornet that has the line groups colorized, check out the thread about using Markers to color your different line groups. Have a rigger look over your shoulder when you do this, so you keep the right groups the same color. This will help you while learning how to pack, hell it will help you even after you learn to pack. :)Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

When I jumped my first pack job I asked the girl who watched me pack if she would jump the job I did!!! She reply was...hey.......just remember whee your handles are!!:)
Turns out it was a goofy opening....but it opened and flew!!! SQUARE, STRAIGHT , SLIDER DOWN!!!!!!
jason

Remember, your canopy *wants* to open.

This is what my rigger (Dunc, skyrose, since you're at the same dz) told me. He said that basically, you could stuff your parachute into the bag without any sort of order, and most of the time, it'd still open. It would probably hurt quite a bit, but it will save your life. Every bit of effort you put into creating order in your packing helps the odds that it will open safely, and softly.
It was one of my big whuffo concerns. Basically, I thought I'd have to be crazy to jump something I packed myself. All the skygods laugh at such an idea, as they would much rather pack their own.
Hell, *I've* helped pack 'chutes at Gobles while the rigger was teaching me the basics of the equipment. As I asked, "Am I flaking this right?" the on-looking students were more than a bit concerned. It was fun for me. ;)

The basic idea with packing is to keep the lines straight and don't do something stupid like tieing something in a knot. What I was told is that we go through a certain packing method to help preserve the canopy from line burns and have consistant openings that are to our liking and would open 99% of the time.
Please, if I'm wrong, let me and everyone else know. :)Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

"I just hope they're patient."
I dont think you should have a problem finding someone to help you out. I was lucky enough to have Scott Miller (of Performance Designs) teach me to pack. He was awesome. I'm sure he's extremely busy, but he still took plenty of time to give a bunch of us very individualized, one on one training- and to this day, if I see him around the DZ he is always more than willing to help out or if hes too busy he will find someone who can.
Sorry, I got off on a tangent there...but anyways, like I said, I think there are plenty of people out there that are more than willing to help out, just ask! :)

Guys,
I do not feel that pulling higher is a good suggestion.
Your pull altitude should be the altitude you need to open and still have enough time to deal with problems. Weather the canopy is poorly packed or not, it should take the same time/altitude to clear a mal. Giving yourself extra altitude may play into your mind and give you a false sense of security ("oh... i just cut away, I'll wait a few more seconds to make sure I'm stable.. should be OK .. I pulled at xK"). Pull higher if you want to play under canopy (which is a great thing to do), but dont pull higher to give yourself more time just in case....
Remi
Muff 914

I'd agree. On my first pack job, I got someon to watch over me. Then I told the jumpmaster it was my first pack-job, so they let me pull at 4. As long as you get clerance and the exit order is planned well, how can it possibly be a bad idea?
I got clearance to pull at altitude when I jumped a Cobalt 135 for the first time (so, I dumped at 11k!), thats was fun.
Skyrose7: I was so creaful with my first pack job, it opened just sweet.
I reckon most normal people are nevouse of their first pack job.

Encouraged for what reason: the play around with the canopy? yes, on that one I totally agree.
To give themselves 2 more try for the BOC (beyond the try once, twice, then silver) ? How about 4 more tries? How about 6?
To take more time to pull right and left?
I'm sure you'll agree its bad juju to think that way.
As a novice, she probably opens fairly high (then again, maybe not.. do you Sky? heck, maybe your not a novice and its just new equipment and a new ZP).
If its a new rig, do a bunch of practice pull on the ground, and then the 1st jump should have a few of those too.
But opening higher with the mindset that the extra altitude is to take care of a mal? still think its not a good idea...
Remster
Muff 914

how can it possibly be a bad idea?

Because if in your mind you tell yourself that you have more time to take care of a mal, you might just bounce trying to fix a problem instead of doing the going through the emergency procedures....
Remster
Muff 914

My first pack job took me about an hour and a half and was a total bitch. I was totally nervous about jumping it, but it opened great.
For the next jump I had a packer do it cause I was sick of wrestling with the canopy. I was wearing warmup pants with zippers and the force of the opening unzipped them up to my knee, and one of my shoes almost came off.
Now I pack for myself every time.
Joe

I am a newbie all together. 24 jumps under my jumpsuit. I pull around 4, sometimes 3,5. I am still going to have someone watch me, so I don't screw anything up- or accidentally tie a knot in my lines. don't worry, I'm kidding.
I think my first jump on the canopy will be done by a packer.

>I am kind of nervous to jump my own packing, and haven't even gotten a chance to jump my rig yet. Am I being a wuss?
No, it's really not 'wussy' to worry about maintaining a device that's supposed to save your life if you're not 100% sure about the process. Most people would call that common sense.
If it's any consolation, about five years back a camera crew tried to pack mains so they'd malfunction and they could video them. They did all sorts of things - put lines over the top, tied knots in the lines, even tied up the slider once. The dang canopy kept opening anyway. They really do want to open.
-bill von

I go through phases where I prefer someone else packing my chute. I'll get a screwy opening or see the packer trash packing my cute and it's back to me packing again.
Confidence in your own packing is somthing you need to work on. Get someone you trust to watch you and then jump the job. If you get it 1/2 right, it'll open OK. Lines in, fabric out is all you need to worry about. Spend time watching a packer when they are busy. You would be surprised at the shit pack jobs...but, they open OK.
Don't ever sweat over packing, it should be the least of your worries. I
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...