Quagmirian

Video - Cutaway followed by hard landing

Some would say that not having an RSL when wearing a camera is a good thing. Of course that was countered by deploying the reserve while in a bad position for having a snag hazard on your helmet.

Yeah that's pretty apparent from the video...she needs to lose the camera & go with an RSL for a while...

It's all fun & games until somebody 'snags' an express ticket on a helicopter.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeah that's pretty apparent from the video...she needs to lose the camera & go with an RSL for a while....

also an option, maybe not go again at all. This didnt look like just input overload, this was blind panic during EP's and all the way to the ground. If you can't calm yourself down only a tad in 2+ minutes reserve ride to at least make a decent landing, then maybe skydiving isnt for you.

My personal favorite was when she pulled one toggle to release one brake on her main, then let go of the toggle.
Then it really started to spin.
Nothing that happened after that was any better.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Would be interesting to know what reserve that is

According to a comment from the uploader it is a Tempo 150 loaded at around 1:1. The reason I wanted to share this video is because that's not a massively high wing loading and the main malfunction was dealt with at a fairly decent height.

made me think of this fellow, same kind of incoherent movements with the lights completely switched off in the brain department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmIu_mQ04o

Far from perfect, but she executed her own EPs and landed the canopy on her own. Big difference IMHO between that and a "wait for the AAD to save your life" situation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi,

I have watched this a couple of times and I am hoping someone more experienced can enlighten me. In watching the video it looks like the reserve is very unresponsive. The jumper makes big control inputs but the canopy seems unresponsive. Is this related to the reserve design, being light loaded or a combination of both? Its a bit hard to tell but it seems like the jumper is in half brake more often than not, is this contributing to the canopy being mushy ?

Airtwardo thanks for the reminder on arching during a cutaway, I seem to have forgotten that from my initial AFF training. I did cut away last season due to line twists and I'd have to say that my PD176 @ 1:1.1 seemed to fly quite nicely with plenty of flare in it.

I sure knew I was alive in that short space of time between cutting the main and the reserve inflating.... gotta love it. :)
Thanks.

I am hoping someone more experienced can enlighten me. In watching the video it looks like the reserve is very unresponsive.

The Tempos sometimes had a built-in turn that needed a lot of brake to correct. In the video she stops it from turning, lets the brake up, then it starts to try to turn again, so she counters it again and lets up on the brake, and so on -- I don't think she really was aware of what the issue was. Then having slowed the canopy with brake shortly before landing, that didn't help when it came time to flare. Tempos aren't made any more but were popular in the 1990s for their value pricing. And they did work to save one's life.

cut price reserve canopy = cut price landing

I've got a Tempo 120 reserve that I've seen twice. Controls are mushy. Just to get a good flare I wrap the brake lines around my hands once and stab them down for landing.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It appeared she needed much shorter control lines on her reserve. At one point when she is at 1200-800 feet she looks up at the reseve while going from deep brakes and it appears the trailing edge of the reserve canopy does not even appear to have been effected by the prior deep toggle inputs. Extremely sluggish. From the assessment of gear it looks like it's a hodge·podge of mis-matched used gear. I'd say that reserve is unfit equipment. I hope that reserve it is not repacked in any rig any longer. :S

I've only landed my pdr which has been excellent.