faulknerwn

Looking for Paraplane Manual

I have come across an old Paraplane I would like to jump :-) (on modern 3 rings in my intentional cutaway rig subterminal just for good measure :-)

After reading some of the very amusing threads in this forum about packing the thing - (subterminal versus terminal packjobs - bag lock versus broken ribs!) I definitely want to see if I can find a copy of the manual..

We were planning to switch out the 2 pilot chute system for one modern "student-sized" pc - any thought about how that might affect things?

Wendy

>There are things that are worth doing for fun....

Yep. Go for it I'd say.

I would suggest weighting it pretty heavily on the bag lock side as opposed to the unconsciousness side however. Much easier to deal with problems when you can _see_ what's going on.

Wish I were closer by, I'd come join the effort..

In fact, I'll be talking to Allen Silver tomorrow and will ask if he has a manual.

It is certainly going to be sub-terminal! And it sounds like it is a fair bit of work to change it - you have to remove all of the rubber from the lines and then change the knots to bar tacks from what I read in one thread..

A lot of people said it was ok subterminal - and this would be out of a 182

And I am used to jumping tail-pocketed Lightnings :-)

video!

I'd be more worried about towing it forever than hard opening.

I guess I shouldn't have an opinion. I never jumped ropes and rings. I would but too fat to land the things at 240#. But going downward. My goal is to lose enough weight to jump the rounds I want to jump, RW PC and UT-15.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My first square was a Parafoil with an x shaped material connected to the pilot chute through a hole in the center of the canopy. But I think ropes and rings was another thing all together wasn't it?
If this is set up for an intentional cutaway, then don't you pretty much have to do a clear and pull or is there a way to rig a tertiary for a delay?

I have many jumps on both the baby plane and cloud. If you are going sub terminal, just don't use the collar and MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GO TERMINAL.

The broken ribs vs bag lock issue is just this:
1) Pack for terminal and deploy sub terminal = bag lock.
2) Pack for sub-terminal and take it to terminal = broken something (depends on weight and luck).

Converting to a slider is more work than it's worth for one or two jumps.

Edited to add: As for the pilot chute, I've used 2 MA-1 and 1 MA-1 with pretty much equal results. I would think the alternate pilot chute will be fine as long as it has as much or more drag as a single MA-1 (pretty much a given).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

faulknerwn

What is the collar you are talking about?

Well, it's been 40 years, but if I remember correctly there was a collar that wrapped around the lines when packed for terminal. This collar required a substantial snatch to release which is why it tended to bag lock when taken sub-terminal.

Edited to add: I just looked at the packing manual linked to above (I've never seen one before as Billy Revis and Dan Steiger taught me how to pack one. The manual shows just one packing method using the collar (called "Bag Retainer Strap" in the manual). I'm pretty sure this is the strap we didn't use for sub-terminal deployments. Up thread, it was said that someone has one. I'd recommend checking with them on the packing method they're using before proceeding.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I don't go on here much anymore. I restored a baby plane a few years ago. The packing procedure in the manual is for a terminal opening. The thought process I was told when I was talking to three of the people involved in designing the bag, risers, test jumper and business partner of Steve Snyder's was they thought it was better to have a bag lock than a premature.

If the canopy is still setup with rings and ropes, the packing procedure for subterminal is to skip the noose that the reefing lines make around the suspension lines.

If you have found a baby plane it is slightly different than the photos Andrew has linked to. If my Mark I eyeball is correct, those photos appear to be of a Para-plane Cloud. Slightly different parachute.

I have a few recent jumps on my Para-plane. If you need any help with anything send me a PM. But don't put a slider on it like was suggested in this thread. The Type V lines don't take the friction produced well and the heat shrink knots connecting the suspension lines is a hang up point. You might get away with a accuracy slider with the d-rings but that canopy is not designed for one which is pretty clear when you look at the lines.

On a side note, I picked up a related and very noteworthy canopy earlier this year. I was given Steve Snyder's second prototype ramair. It is very similar to a Para-Plane in many respects.