bravoniner

Para Commander Redux

How would one go about rigging an airworthy RW Para Commander (about 60% of the weight and bulk of the Mark I) for occasional use in a modern harness/container system having sufficient pack volume? I presume the key issues would be finding (or making) compatible risers and D-bag, and identifying an appropriate throw-out pilot chute. Could Slinks be used?

Has anyonyone had any experience successfully adapting an old "PC" to modern gear?

Thanks.

B9

Rigging a main is a job for a rigger. And in this case a rigger experienced with rounds.

That being said no, you do not want to use slinks because there are more lines on a round. PC's also have very heavy center lines which pull down the apex and take quite a bit of load. The best will be L bar links. If you don't know what L bar links are it means you probably don't know enough to rig this.

Put on french or L bar links, installed properly on three ring risers, put it in a sleeve, pod or bag with the appropriate keeper line, and attach a pretty big throwout pilot chute. PC's have very heavy center lines which pull down the apex and take quite a bit of load

I put round reserves in main bags on three ring risers with a TO pilot chute routinely. A 26' LoPo goes in a J3 or V5 easily. I you just want to jump any round jump an old round reserve.

About the only rig it will fit in is a tandem rig. It might squeeze into a J7 or a V8 or V9, maybe.

I have a RW PC in a pod in a conventional rig and a brand new one pin chest reserve to use. That way your not tempted to cut the PC away to land a square reserve.:) If your going to do it go whole old school with a ripcord, spring loaded pilot chute and a front mounted round reserve.:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE