SWIMDOC

ANTIOCH DZ - MALFUNCTIONS

Several posts here about people burning in at Antioch back in the day. Found this article about Jim Barnhill's malfunction. I was there. It was funny after-when he was "OK" but not at the time. He cut away his main and got is reserve barely open when he hit the side of Sugarloaf or the Materhorn. I asked him what he was thinking as he was riding that streamer down and he said, "All I could think about was.....PLF Like a mother fucker...just PLF man.

Yeah, so much for "free stowing" your lines after that. The Altitude Shop had a highspeed video/movie of free stowed lines coming out of the container that was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

The Altitude Shop had a highspeed video/movie of free stowed lines coming out of the container that was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen.

Wonder if that film is still around somewhere?

Lots of good films have disappeared. I recall seeing one made by the govt using high speed cameras to document structural failure in C9 canopies that were deployed way above speed and weight specs. It was fascinating but cant find it anymore.

I remember how cool it was to have a skydive store with onsite rigging in downtown Vallejo. As I recall the Altitude Shop had climbing gear too. Got my MK I PC shortlined there. Really reasonable prices. Good guys.

Bought my PC with a Top Secret rig for $125 from a fellow Pope Valley jumper. As squares took over, PCs became dirt cheap. Nobody wanted them. The canopy and rig had only 120 jumps.

I was still in school so funds were tight. I was always a gen behind everyone else in gear which allowed be to get super cheap stuff.

Speaking of free stowing lines, I saw a guy at Livermore jump a cheapo stuffed into a paper grocery bag with no line stowage. He did it on a bet. No prob, it opened fine, but I didn't see the process on high speed film.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I heard Ron Tavalero settled in the Santa Rosa area. This may be his writing. Letter to editor in Santa Rosa paper.

Flawed and deceptive

EDITOR: The June 8 commentary about guns (“A real problem with 3-D printers and guns”) was flawed and deceptive. To start with, the subject was computer-numerical-controlled machining, not 3-D printing.

The fabricator didn’t start with a “chunk of aluminum.” He started with a pre-machined lower receiver, 80 percent complete. What he did was drill holes in this assembly, which can be done with a $69.99 drill press. He wasted $1,500 for the machinery.

In the 1930s, England designed a sub-machine gun capable of manufacture in any European bicycle shop of that day. From 1950 on, the tools and machinery to build a STEN would fit in one corner of a garage. Today the material and tooling can be found at Home Depot and is present in the average person’s garage.

Why, if home manufacturing of guns is worth a half page of The Press Democrat, were we not flooded with actual machine guns for the past 80 years? No one wanted to make them? They didn’t go out and commit crimes with them?The other three-quarters of the column was philosophy and how the author believes we should behave.

Why didn’t you research this before printing? It would not have made it past an English 1A instructor.

RONALD E. TAVALERO
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

The Altitude Shop had a highspeed video/movie of free stowed lines coming out of the container that was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen.

Wonder if that film is still around somewhere?

Lots of good films have disappeared. I recall seeing one made by the govt using high speed cameras to document structural failure in C9 canopies that were deployed way above speed and weight specs. It was fascinating but cant find it anymore.

I remember how cool it was to have a skydive store with onsite rigging in downtown Vallejo. As I recall the Altitude Shop had climbing gear too. Got my MK I PC shortlined there. Really reasonable prices. Good guys.

Bought my PC with a Top Secret rig for $125 from a fellow Pope Valley jumper. As squares took over, PCs became dirt cheap. Nobody wanted them. The canopy and rig had only 120 jumps.

I was still in school so funds were tight. I was always a gen behind everyone else in gear which allowed be to get super cheap stuff.

Speaking of free stowing lines, I saw a guy at Livermore jump a cheapo stuffed into a paper grocery bag with no line stowage. He did it on a bet. No prob, it opened fine, but I didn't see the process on high speed film.

Might get hold of the Jump Shack. 40 years ago John let me watch a bunch of opening movies by of cheepos. Taken in high speed. I think they were from Hughes. I learned a lot about opening sequence from them. Most of it translated to squares then the time came.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

MadJohn,

It was a Safeway bag. I remember that clearly. Just can't recall who the jumper was. Bet we saw the same jump. I remember Eric Anderson and Paul LaPut watching it too, at the Cal Club DZ out by Jensen's farm off N Livermore Rd.