meekerboy

Multiple sequential parachutes opening - which film?

Hi there,

I am trying to trace a very old (maybe 1960's) skydiving movie where there is a sequence of multiple parachutes opening one after another, but all from one skydiving system. I thought it might be the Gypsy Moths, but now I cannot find that sequence anywhere online.

Can anyone remember?

Thanks ...

The Gypsy Moths was produced in 1969, based on a story by James Drought. The sequence you describe occurs at one hour fifteen minutes on the timeline. It's a 3-way in which the skydivers are linked by static lines hooked to the second and third parachutists' ripcords, staging their openings. There was a paperback book by the same title released after the film. I believe the stunt was described as a "daisy chain" in the book. (Memory's fading...I lost my copy in a flood many years ago.)

Carl Boenish played a central role in designing and filming the aerial stunts. (Sunshine Superman is the recently released documentary about his life and role in the development of BASE jumping.)

We purchased an unopened (Gypsy Moths) DVD on Amazon for less than the price of an Otter jump two years ago. It contains excellent bonus material including The Skydivers, a terrific short feature detailing the development and filming of the skydiving scenes, plus interviews with the director, cast and stunt crew, including Carl Boenish. Some of the most accurate and vividly photographed skydiving sequences in any film I've seen.

Gypsy Moths is one FINE movie. Good actors, great skydiving scenes, decent plot.

I have high hopes for the remake of Point Break. Loved the original.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

It's a 3-way in which the skydivers are linked by static lines hooked to the second and third parachutists' ripcords, staging their openings.

I think the scene the OP referenced was not that, but another scene where one jumper is wearing several extra canopies and does many cutaways.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

meekerboy

Hi there,

I am trying to trace a very old (maybe 1960's) skydiving movie where there is a sequence of multiple parachutes opening one after another, but all from one skydiving system. I thought it might be the Gypsy Moths, but now I cannot find that sequence anywhere online.

Can anyone remember?

The 1960s isnt very old , or if it is that make us who were jumping then very old.

Spoiler alert watch the movie and pick up on the line ***jumping isn't only a way to live but a way to die.

That line got the dude laid that night, :).

Time for my nap.

R.
One Jump Wonder

Hi Cliff,

one jumper is wearing several extra canopies and does many cutaways.

My memory is not perfect; but as I recall he was wearing/holding multiple old chest pack reserves. They were rigged so the risers from one was somehow tied to the ripcord of the next one, and on and on. This allowed all those multiple canopies to be deployed one after the other, in sequence ( no cutaways ). I think the canopies had been dyed different colors also.

????????????

Jerry Baumchen

Jumper had a number of chest pack reserves, and it looked to me that he pulled each one. And fed the canopies out in the manner we were taught back then. Put your non ripcord hand on the pack, pull the ripcord, and then throw/feed the canopy out. Pretty damn impressive actually.

Re: Gypsy Moths/Multiple sequential openings
My mistake--responded to councilman24's mention of static lines instead of OP.

3 stunts edited in sequence starting at 1 hour 13 minutes on the movie timeline
1) skydiver pulls ripcord and 5 canopies appear to deploy from backpack, 4 unattached to harness
2) skydiver deploys main parachute from backpack, then hand deploys 3 additional parachutes from chest pack reserve containers clipped to his harness--in final cut, canopies are yellow, green, blue, red*
3) another skydiver pulls ripcord and 6 canopies deploy sequentially from what appears to be backpack, 5 unattached to harness

The static line/"daisy chain" sequence I mentioned in earlier post follows immediately after.

*Skydiver lands under 4 open round parachutes. In the movie, he appears to touchdown in an open field. The special feature documenting the creation and filming of the skydiving scenes shows a different jump on which he drifted with the wind, ultimately just missing crashing into a barn.

skycatcher68

I don't know how I ended up on this thread, but the scene the OP asked about is from the movie, The Spirit of St. Louis with Jimmy Stewart.

It's during Lindbergh's barnstorming days flashback and there are jumpers who....well, found a link.

It's at 2:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMm__jKgahU

That's a great scene. I'm going to have to get the movie now. Thanks

I always wanted to replicate the gypsy moths scene with multiple canopies out and I got the chance one day. I didn't have many choices as to gear so I planned with what I could scrounge: MC1, pioneer 26' lo po and a couple of K20's. Figuring out attachment points, deployment sequence, spot, etc. I thought I had pretty much covered everything...

Pulled the MC1 ripcord, got a sweet, slow deployment. Opened my chest reserve and tossed the 26ft lopo to the air...it was surprising how fast it blossomed! took my foot up. Managed to get it out of the lines and went for the first K20, took it out and tossed it. Again, a really fast opening. Now, I had three canopies out and every canopy wanted to fly it's way...26' going this way, 22ft K20 going another way and the MC1 collapsing and inflating alternately! Scary s**t! Had the other K20 on my hands but was just looking up to see the zoo I had and every now and then looking to my altimeter to see how much did I have to deal/survive this. After sometime, when I got lower -what could possibly go wrong?- I released the fourth canopy. Obviously, only stream around the dz, never knew about it until that day, and my cluster starts going there...at that point it was like Yes, whatever! Pushed on one of the main risers and drifted a little bit, landing softly maybe 10ft from the stream. Talk about dumb things you do in winter when it's too cold to go full altitude!

Happy landings to all! Rafa

1salto3 057.jpg