highspeeddirt

Nick Piantanida "The Angry sky" ESPN july 30

I commend Nick on a tremendous effort, an unbelievable effort. ( He made 3 attempts and never got to jump from altitude ). For those who did not see the show, Nick got to 123,500 feet and then could not disconnect a frozen Oxygen connector to make his jump. It occurs to me, however, that since Nick had no high speed freefall nor even some oxygen mask jumps from 25,000 to 30,000 feet ( as far as I know ), the odds would have been really against him had he jumped. Just my thoughts on it, though.

And on torrents.

Some reviews said the documentary wasn't that great, eg,
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/30-30-angry-sky-223148.

Like plenty of documentary subjects before him, Piantanida was headstrong, charming, and selfish.

The three actual jumps depicted in Angry Sky are true heart-racing excitement, but the buildup (or, the other 65 minutes of the film) lies flat.

Angry Sky is presented in a mix of home videos, photos, and reenactments caked in Instagram filters and chintzy film grain. The film gives into its basest instincts and is poorer for it. One shot zooms up on a tacked up piece of paper that says “Goal” underlined in faux-emphasis. The actual footage, particularly the real audio from Piantanida’s ascents, are stunning in both their beauty and banality.

But it'll still be interesting for its historical value.

I thought Angry Sky was well done. If you made a Nick Piantanida documentary that would totally satisfy skydivers, it would lose some of its mass appeal.

The book Magnificent Failure is a great read. Highly recommended.

I remain baffled by the evidence that suggests Nick opened his pressure suit visor at 56000 feet. The huge risk to just clear some condensation seems insane. Might he have already been hypoxic?

Nick was sure a "larger than life" guy. That comes across really well in Angry Sky. What a shame he died so young.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.