1 1
riverrat247

The skydiving history of Ken Coleman

While I am not yet a skydiver, my father Ken Coleman most definitely was. My memories as a child are of drop zones, skydivers, formations and lots of parachutes. Names and faces of Mike Michigan, Dick Byrd, Fred Sands, Rocky Evans and numerous others are a huge part of those memories. Now, I am trying to find out more about my father and his skydiving history, beyond the obvious like AFF. I am looking for people I knew back then and information to help piece together my dad's skydiving history. As I am going through all his things there signed photos from the Beech Nuts and Rainbow Flyers, numerous medals, AFF training videos and all of his dive logs that I am entering electronically to track dad's history. If you can help me piece more information into the puzzle, please write back.
  • Like 1

I pack the reserves for Sam Brown and Don Carpenter (when he jumps, sort of retired), both members of the Rainbow Flyers. Both of them are good friends. I started in MI just before your father died. I might have met him once. I 've met Rocky but don't know him as well. A bunch of the Beach Nuts got together last labor day and with a bunch jumping that hadn't jumped in 30+ years. Sandy Reid, owner of Rigging Innovations put it together with help.

If you PM me contact information I'll pass it on to Sam and Don.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thank you Terry! I only remember meeting Jim Plummer, alternate for the Rainbow Flyers, but was only 8 when dad died. I found a huge framed photo in dad's things of the Beech Nuts, signed by all of them. Unfortunately there was no Year on the photo so I have no idea when it was taken. Talking to Don or Sam would be amazing. I have box full of medals that just say Relative Work Team Champions and a year, but no clue as to where or anything else. Plus, going through dad's jump logs they were in Germany (which I knew-medal + belt buckles), South Africa and there's a stamp from para-rescue training in Antarctica. But I have no tracks to find out more. Thank you for responding to me Terry, I PM'd you my contact info and can only hope it will lead to more information and people in my dad's past. My journey continues... :)

I'll forward your information to Don and Sam. The Flyers won in South Africa too. Sam and Don both often tell stories about your dad and Rocky and wear their belt.buckles all the time. If you look up United We Fall by Pat Works on google you'll find it complete on line. In it the Rainbow Flyers are mentioned. You'll also get a felling about jumping in those days.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

riverrat247

While I am not yet a skydiver, my father Ken Coleman most definitely was. My memories as a child are of drop zones, skydivers, formations and lots of parachutes. Names and faces of Mike Michigan, Dick Byrd, Fred Sands, Rocky Evans and numerous others are a huge part of those memories. Now, I am trying to find out more about my father and his skydiving history, beyond the obvious like AFF. I am looking for people I knew back then and information to help piece together my dad's skydiving history. As I am going through all his things there signed photos from the Beech Nuts and Rainbow Flyers, numerous medals, AFF training videos and all of his dive logs that I am entering electronically to track dad's history. If you can help me piece more information into the puzzle, please write back.

Do you have a facebook account? That is a great place to look up folks from the past. I personally know Rocky is on there and I would bet Mike is too.

I never met you dad but I certainly know of his contributions to skydiving. I started jumping in 1985 and was the 4th AFF graduate at my DZ. My wife made her first jump in Deland in '87 and Rocky was her AFF instructor.

We'd love to see old photos, log entries, etc. There is also a facebook page for old skydiving stuff that is very active. If you scanned some photos and posted them there I'm sure they would be a big hit.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX
  • Like 1

Rocky is on Face Book and John Sherman is on here. They can both tell you more about your dad.
Rocky has a personal crusade to let every AFF instructor and student know about your dad perfecting AFF.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I jumped with Ken in the mid 70's as a team member of the Beechnuts. Remember him well. I have photo's posted on the Midwest Skydiver's Reunion facebook page that Ken are in. I can send you high resolution pics of your dad and probably a few more than what are posted, just send me an email.
  • Like 1

I was a member of the VXE-6 Para-Rescue Team in 1982 and 1983. I may be able to give you a few names of the folks on the team at that time. I also did a short stint at Strong from Jan to May, 1979 working in the harness and container dept. On many days after work, we made jumps from your Dad's 182 at the Kississimme airport.
  • Like 1

I made my first few jumps at Austin Lake.
Then a DZ opened much closer to home, so I continued jumping at it.
One day I went back up to Austin Lake and made two jumps.
After the second one, the experienced jumpers had left, so I asked the pilot if he could sign my log book:

"Sure, I've made a couple jumps."

It was only much later, reading about him in "Parachutist" that I realized who he was.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.
  • Like 1

I can't help much with your dad's pre AFF history, but I was his primary cameraman in Deland during AFF development. I just have to say what an honor and a pleasure it was to work with him. The sport owes a very deep debt of gratitude to Ken.

Bill Sutton
  • Like 1

I knew your dad, Don, Rocky, and Sam very well. I started taking lessons from them out at a little grass runway in a corn field near Athen, MI.

i was 15 years old when they started training me. Your dad was a great man and we had some great times and great dives in Athens out of your dad’s red and white Cessna 182. Don, Rocky, and Sam also spent a lot of time with me showing me the ropes - all of them were so accomplished, yet they took the time to help me - great characters all of them - Don and your dad were always there to talk.

Eventually Jim Plumber started coming out to Athens and then Athens kind of went short of cash, so we all moved over to Austin Lake, near Kalamazoo, MI. What a blast I had growing up with those guys and jumping out of airplanes! Those guys taught me a lot - leaving the plane, grabbing a formation, then a back-flip and back together. The sport changed from that style to skipping the back-flip and just grabbing as many formations as possible. Your dad, Don, Sam, and Rocky didn’t seem to like the change - they thought that it all looked a little sloppy. Anyway, great memories and great times - I will look for photos for you - all the best! Steve Bertheau

• Like 1