patworks

when From Wings Came Flight lit the flames of the planet’s flyers

In Texas, you don’t want to be wearing more boots than you got cattle. Some got Heards.

Olav, respected Friend, mentor, icon, wizard of air. The major name associated with vertical flight forms. Mantle shared with the Kents, Michigan, Omar, Stephanna, Urgallo, Koyn, Charles, and McKeman too. Their quest is our treasure.
Yep. See, ’Twas the Freak-Flyers of yore started it. It’s their fault! The Kents caught the bug at the ’83 FB Convention. It has since infected us all. They writ it in stone. Olav caught the bug early on. Took it to the streets, he did. In 86 he’s jumping with loony loved friend Scotty Carbone. Weird pairing. They were “Screaming Bullets” ….. head-long, vertical balls-out attack on puffy clouds. So, camera guy sez, can you slow that down? …. Freestyle compete? Yes. Yes.

After the bug bit her in ’83, Deanna has Norman nutso on her dances for the sky. “I had to relearn flight! I could not stay with my lady when she air danced. I learned. Hard Work!"
His love matched her obsession. History happened.

Recently, I spent X months co-writing w/ Norman on this, the /his time of transformation towards more perfect flight via air poetry of movement. (Sky Pups together, he/we be Close since he hatched). He knew; he spoke. We talked. I learned. I captured….LOTS of iterations. now more whole.) The children of From Wings Came Flight include Chute Assis, FreeStyle, Sit Fly, FreeFly and higher speed dirt.

Back in the When of Then, The Kent's are about 2/3 or 3/4 down the road to From Wings Came Flight. Norman remembers, 'Course the then-Gods want no free dance free fall stuff. ….Rather Perfect sequential formations by beautiful perfect people define perfect flight. The Rx, Period.'

Norman is Norman, “My film, my production, my choice.” By then he and Deanna had realized Mike Michigan was also a solo dancer of the sky. Deanna danced flows, Michigan Danced kinetic energy. Music was common. They air meld. Happy meeting. Lifelong friends. :lovely Pas De Dux.

At Pigeon Forge they work the film in the tunnel and get tunnel time for pay. Norman invites Olov to some sessions. Happenstance that the Tunnel Rat is a 16 year Old kid. Child flyer didn’t know his limits; flew head-down. “Took our breath away…” Olav saw and knew and said, “I am going to take this to the street!” He did. He Was. We are. I was his student in his First School of Air Flight early on.

He rode the highway paved by air poets and dreamers world wide who lit up and went when From Wings Came Flight lit the flames of the planet’s flyers. Offspring aplenty included Chute Assis, FreeStyle, sit flying, and melded into Pre Freely in 1994 Urgallo/Nationals Event) !995, Dallas, McKean’s Championship of FreeFlight (Pilot for SSI FreeFly ProTour with $394,000.00 cash prizes on X-Games….. Hoo-HAA! Fun Times!

Times that was become Now our IS. I say, Be Here Now. Fly it.

So, here we are. New fish fly our air oceans vertically with élan. They meld with the sky we fly. Deflection of the relative wind evolved to existing in the current of the uprushing air and flowing within it; not riding on it. Effortless accomplishment. BIG SEA CHANGE. Major.

What? Did the lights just go on?

Pat, poetic as ever!B|

I remember the being at the '83 Freak Brothers Convention when Norman's Freak Brothers movie premiered. It rocked my perception of RW.

Watching 'Wings' in my first jump course on a 16mm projector.

Getting dangerously better at RW in '84 cuz I had my bible, 'The Art of Freefall Relative Work' tucked into my back pocket! :D

Breathless waiting in '86 as a friend loaded his new copy of the much anticipated "From Wings Came Flight" into his VCR while on a weather hold for a demo jump in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Went to imitate Diana's posed ballet moves and scared the shit out myself. Should of tried it higher instead of 3.5 The acceleration gave me ground rush that you usually don't experience until under 2 grand!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Pat. Keep it up old timer

What a ride!