sonofapope

Old pig back safety system what was this system called

sonofapope

Hi All
been around this sport for year
name this system.
see attached

How about a little better pic?

Two pin reserve with a Martin Baker handle & a last hope rope...could be one of several I can think of. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi pope,

I am sure that it is a Top Secret rig. They were built by Jerry Myers & Ron Tafalerro ( sp ??? ), they owned the Altitude Shop 'back in the day.'

It's the last hope rope I was getting at straight out of Perry Steven shed.

Perry Stevens came up with a lot of good ideas ( RSL's for one ) but the Last Hope Rope was not one of his ideas.

The first one I ever saw was on a Piglet piggyback system. It appeared to have been built into the rig during initial construction.

Jerry Baumchen

airtwardo

Two pin reserve with a Martin Baker handle & a last hope rope...could be one of several I can think of. ;)

I used to own a Top Secret. The photos confuse me though. I don't recall they had a last hope rope on them or Martin Baker handles (which I still like more than most people). Either the handle shown isn't martin baker anyway, or my brains are scrambled ( which is likely).

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

My crossbow piggy back has a last hope rope added. Just a piece of tubular nylon sewn to the reserve container (which is built like a chest.mount) near.the cones and tied of in the front. There to.break the a cone lock total malfunction. Don't.know.that any were standard equipment from the manufacturer. Mine certainly isn't. Didn't need it on a chest.mount because you could just punch it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'll see what I can do, Jerry, after I get to Arizona this week. It is just the harness and container right now, no canopies therein. I had thought about seeing about converting it to three-ring as a fun project when I'm not flying and it is packed in the motorhome right now.

I'[m also inviting everyone who wants to to come over to Cotton wood, AZ and make a couple with us. It is a very small operation, catering largely to the tourists who want to make a tandem, but a nicer bunch of folks you won't find.
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

JerryBaumchen

Hi pope,

It's the last hope rope I was getting at straight out of Perry Steven shed.

Perry Stevens came up with a lot of good ideas ( RSL's for one ) but the Last Hope Rope was not one of his ideas.

The first one I ever saw was on a Piglet piggyback system. It appeared to have been built into the rig during initial construction.

Jerry Baumchen

Gary Dupuis (sp?) came up with the idea about '73. Back then, cone locks were a problem so this would pull the top flap off the cones after the pins were pulled. I saw a few and heard about several that had no slack in the 550 cord. A fatality waiting to happen.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Hi Barney,

that was part of The Altitude Shops single point cutaway system

I saw that, but did not give it much thought.

appeared on their Classiflier system. I don't recall seeing one of those on a Top Secret

That I did not know. I was/am not really sure when they developed their system.

So the photos may be of a Classifier rather than a Top Secret. I wonder if the reserve end flaps are similar.

Jerry Baumchen