inspector

Not very scary stories from the old days

Was on a road trip last month and got a jump in at Lincoln, Ca. In 1966 I used to fly there from Yuba City because it was just within my solo practice area and hang out with the skydivers.

Lincoln is a busy tandem operation now but gladly got me on the sunset load. In talking with several of the crew before and after the jump and they were not aware that Lincoln had been a busy DZ earlier in the 60's. While the aircraft was climbing out I was able to point out the old packing area and where the jumpers used to land.

Does anyone remember George Nicks D-338 from those days?

Nick was a very good friend of mine. I made a lot of jumps with him. I also made a few jumps at Lincoln. The Cessna 182 was named Catfish. Sandy George ran the place back then.

My favorite Nick story was at Pope Valley. We parked our vans next to each other and on Sunday morning Nick woke up and got out of his van. He reached into his pocket and pulled out about 15 dimes. He looks at me and says "Deane, why do I have so many dimes in my pocket?" I said "Nick, you were drinking 90 cent drinks last night." I sure do miss that guy. He was one of the nicest guys i ever met.