sonofapope

post a picture of your favorite skydiving patch

What's your Dad's name? I probably competed against him in the sixties and seventies.

Also, how are you embedding images in this forum? I've only been able to upload attachments.

Thanks.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Hi Chris,

I was in the Army in Toul, France from '59 to '61, rebuilding heavy equipment engines in the 507th Engineering Company, Depot Maintenance. I became weight lifting buddies with Ray Elliott, an older guy (early 30s) who had seen infantry combat in Korea, had re-upped and gone Airborne. Ray was the trainer on the TASCOM boxing team, encouraged me to get on the team and also inspired me to later get into sport jumping in California.

Each military unit accumulates oral folklore about those who went before them. The 507th had a dramatic lineup of stories. Coincidentally, it seemed that wherever civilians asked what unit we were in, they'd treat us extremely well when they heard, "507th Engineering Company, Depot Maintenance." This increased our admiration for our company alumni.

Every French school kid and their parents, regardless of their command of English, seemed to know the number designations of the units that distinguished themselves from 5 June 1944 until the end of the war. Any number that started with "five oh" was gold. The "Engineering Company, Depot Maintenance" part didn't stop them from making a big deal over us.

It wasn't until checking the internet for military reunions a few years ago, that I realized just whose coat tails I had actually been riding those many years ago in the Paris and Amsterdam nightspots. Here's a short movie, "D-Day Down to Earth--Return of the 507th." I hope the link works.

http://www.gpb.org/television/d-day

Al Paradowski
SCR 002

Hey Pat-

My Dad's name was Hale Castleman (D-1070, GW-601). He ran the school, was the Safety Officer, flew the planes, ect, at West Point (Skydive the Point), back in the '70's.

As far as the image thing goes, add this line in your text:

[inline your_attachment_filename.jpg]

Works great!

Chris Castleman

Muff:4313
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Thanks, Chris. The name sounds vaguely familiar but the years have dimmed the memory somewhat. I really enjoyed my couple of years with the Fort Lee club and most of the Army guys were great. Thanks for posting that pic. I hadn't seen that patch since the 60's.
Jim
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

Hello Al,
That Arvin patch sure took me back. That is where I started in 65 just before it closed and we moved over to Taft, Lost Hills, Oceanside and all over the west.
When you get time please get in touch with Brian. He is going through a rough time right now.
Regards,
Dennis Henley,
SCR-216

These are the only 2 patches I ever got. I guess the one on the right was my favorite because I feel like I really earned it although I got both on the same jump, my 44th. That was early at the time since we didn't have wind tunnels and my combined free fall time up till then was about 18 minutes. The 7 guys who jumped with me from 2 Cessnas at 10,500 were awesome to let a low time guy on the load. I was in a 6 man the weekend before and John Mincher vouched for me and there wasn't anybody else at the DZ with more experience. Spiderman also got his SCR on the same jump and he had a D license.

The SCS patch is well worn and somewhat faded. I immediately sewed it on my jumpsuit and then moved it to my backpack when I hitchhiked from Houston to NYC and then all over Europe in 1972. I hoped having it on the back of my pack might connect me with other jumpers but no one ever recognized it. It didn't dawn on me till later that there were only 292 in the world at the time I got mine so not many folks out there knew what it was.

AL:

Great spot on the D-Day jump patch. My uncle was 82nd and made the drop...I was in France 3 years ago at St. Mere and it was very cool. They have an American jumper hanging from the church in the square. Lots of Airborne flags and banners in the various shops. Can't imagine dropping into the town square with a barn on fire at one end and German MG-42s working the rest of the area. They were the greatest generation.

Blue skys.

Doc

Hi Doc,

They certainly were The Greatest Generation! It's amazing to learn what so many people from different countries sacrificed for us and the rest of the world during WWII.

I personally experienced the consideration of the French people. Every July 14th our unit was invited to march in the local Bastille Day parade commemorating the French Revolution of 1789. It's their July 4th.

Your trip to St. Mere-Eglise must have been extra special with your uncle having jumped in on D-Day. I hope you were there on an important anniversary day.

My dad served on a PT Boat in the Pacific and never mentioned the war. He lived to age 47 before the booze and a failed bid for a Wisconsin state senate seat cut it short.

Blue Skies,
Al