hillson

Florida Parachute Council?

Hello all:

I'm trying to track down some information on the Florida Parachute Council...there are a few references on this site and on Google...but the history of the org seems lost to time (to me, anyway).

A few years ago someone, now forgotten, brought in some old memorabilia to the ZHills bar (there were many beers had...). Several of the items were gifted to local jumpers when display space couldn't be found.

I ended up with a pewter mug (attached) with the logo and "1st Place Titusville W Combs 76" engraved on it. IIRC, there were 5 or 6 mugs spanning a few years in the 70s with various "places" and several different dropzones.

Anyway...just looking for some history as I've always wondered about the mug (sorry that they're blurry...had to compress to fit).

I have about 35 of those in my garage. 1st in Women's Combined in '76 could have been Donna Chmielewski, Pat Schapanski, or most likely my first wife Connie Moore. See attached. She's wearing a harness and container I had just built for her. You can see some of her mugs in the background. BTW, they were made of a material called Armetale simulating pewter.

"Combined" was for style and accuracy. "Overall" was for style, accuracy and four person RW. I won Combined for the year in 76 and Overall for 74, 75, and 76.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I'm looking at the Florida Parachute Council News Letter for the February 28-29 1976 Tittusville Meet.

The winner of the Trophy in question was Donna Chielewski.

This was my 1st meet as an Intermediate jumper. I got 2nd place Accuracy, 5th in Style and 1st place Comination.

Funny how I can't remember what I had for breakfast but remembered this like it was yesterday. :)

Good catch Rick! Wonder how Donna let that mug get away. Here's a photo of Donna with one of her mugs.

Now that I think about it Connie probably has all hers still. She has a couple of notable claims to fame. In 1969 she became the first woman in the world to jump a square parachute. In 1973 she was getting ready to head for Yugoslavia as the alternate on the US Women's team when a call from her obstetrician said that would be a bad idea. Our oldest daughter (now 40 and a mother of three herself) had 46 jumps before she was born.
DZGone.com

patmoore

Good catch Rick! Wonder how Donna let that mug get away. Here's a photo of Donna with one of her mugs.

Now that I think about it Connie probably has all hers still. She has a couple of notable claims to fame. In 1969 she became the first woman in the world to jump a square parachute. In 1973 she was getting ready to head for Yugoslavia as the alternate on the US Women's team when a call from her obstetrician said that would be a bad idea. Our oldest daughter (now 40 and a mother of three herself) had 46 jumps before she was born.

Those are the greatest of days for me at the Ranch. You, Connie, Ski & Donna were "Sky Gods" to me in '75 & '76. You and Ski are the one's that coached me on Style And Accuracy.
Thx Again

A bit of trivia on the emblem.Dave Story drew that not long after we got back from the nationals at Tallaquah in '73. (The first 4 way team from Fla. Dial-A-Star) He did the circle and the inside arcs for "Florida" "Parachute" "Concil" but I think he ahd a different graphic for the inside.He gave it to the guy rinning the concil at the time, I think he was from Titusville but I may be wrong about that. That's when Titusville was at a grass strip / cow pasture.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

CrazyRick

Just saw this post today. I can till you who won that mug as soon as I get home from work. I was competing that year and should have the results in my scrap book. I would bet it was Donna Shemoliski (spelling?)

Awesome...thanks (all). It never occurred that I should have asked Ski or Donna (I seem them almost every weekend)...I bet that it where the mugs are from as a bunch of their stuff hangs in the bar.

Matter of fact I will this weekend if I end up going to ZHills.

I had forgotten that all competitors at FPC meets got ribbons. Some of these are over forty years old (see attached)
DZGone.com