thegrump

79 turkey boogie

Not ’79, but I competed (?) 1976 and ’77. Teams did real well too, all of us lived. DC-3s were plentiful and there were times when your could lay on the ground and watch four teams in the air at once, one exiting, one at break-off, one under canopy and another just landing; and that pace would go for hours. There were 101 ten-way teams in ’77.

I was on one of the 3s that lost an engine on take-off. We did a go around at about 300 feet and landed without incident (except tight buttholes). I helped a friend out of a tree where he had landed his reserve and saw another reserve rider drug away by high winds after landing. Four teams rode on each flight, so there were no accommodations for cameras, and jump runs ran about one minute apart.

I met Carl Boenish, Bill Booth, Jim Hooper and possibly other heroes, and watched spellbound as Charlie McGurr plummeted onto the packing shed roof after a canopy collusion.

After-hours the Herd shot off the milk jug cannon, rode a wild semi (truck) around the DZ and burned hay bales in the camping area. N2O was universally available from big industrial bottles though a rubber hose, with lots of beer, smoke, etc. for relaxation.
Those were some good ole days…

It was before my jumping career started but, The York Skydivers feilded a team in the mid seventies. They were the "Whirling Dirt Bags". Several of them are still active jumpers. I did a 14 way with a few of them a couple of weekends ago. They are Tom Selway, Jim Selway, Ted Barnes, Skip Eckert, and Bill Martin. I hope I didn't forget anyone.

<< It must have been outrageous...Probably something regarding the female anatomy. >>

Ten-way team, the "Cunning Stunts." Or perhaps the infamous wet T-shirt contest with Carbone as M.C.

Some pics from the '77 meet....

Carbone packing; a slim Booth restocking the belly; Carbone under the Barish sailwing landing a biplane