sornyd

Deland Easter Boogie 1984 25-way diamond

After building, the four 4-way diamonds tracked away leaving a big X. Then the 2-way stairsteps tracked away and the dude in the middle dumped in place. I'm center bottom, light blue and white Mirage (old style), white FliteSuit.

Photo by Rick Snow.

Recognize anybody else?

Dave in Fargo

I'm guessing mine was built in '82 because it was Dan O'Brian's Elmer and the Gluebags rig. I met him at Otay in '83 when he was training with Mirror Image and bought it off him after they got their new rigs.

Two of my 3 reserve rides were on the SAC-22 in that thing...one caused by the goofy pullout getting knocked off.

Now I'm jumping an ultra modern, 1992 Racer.;)

sornyd

I'm guessing mine was built in '82 because it was Dan O'Brian's Elmer and the Gluebags rig. I met him at Otay in '83 when he was training with Mirror Image and bought it off him after they got their new rigs.

Two of my 3 reserve rides were on the SAC-22 in that thing...one caused by the goofy pullout getting knocked off.

Now I'm jumping an ultra modern, 1992 Racer.;)

Mine was version 2 where they move the reserve pins to the outside. Were your reserve pins on the inside like a Racer?

I had one from 1982 with the pins on the inside. Incredibly comfortable rig. I used it for about a year after I got back into jumping in 2001.

The fun part was when someone was making fun of it for being SO OLD. He asked me if I got from a museum. He shut up when I told him I bought it new :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Reply to Wndy also.

I had the same experience with my Mirage in 2001. "Where'd ya get that antique?"
"Heck if I know, it was new when I got it!"

I swear I'm going to get it inspected and repacked with something one of these days. I'm in Sugar Land and only about 25 minutes from Spaceland.

rdufokker

I made every one of those harnesses until 1983.

Thanks for chipping in!

I'm really curious about the switch from back to external reserve pins. When I bought my Mirage in 12/83, I just assumed it was with backside reserve pins. Surprised, but not upset. My 4 reserve rides on it were clean.

Can you fill us in on the design change?

Regardless, like Wendy said, it is absolutely the most comfortable harness I've ever owned. After opening, I always slid the legstraps down to more of a saddle. Wide and comfortable!

Cheers, rdufokker!

Hey Whit,

I remember one of your reserve openings very well. After cutting away from our wrap job on a 9 stack over Raeford in the mid eighties. I got clear of the garbage and cut away only to find myself falling straight at you under your still breathing, freshly unpacked, round reserve. I didn't know weather to pull my reserve or attempt to slide past you in freefall. It all worked out. That was my 1001st jump. Funstuff! You should start jumping again. I have a couple of freshly packed, Cypress equipped rigs and an old Cessna 180 if you want to come to PA to make some jumps. No gear rental fee and jumps are on me.

They had a couple of issues with the loops coming through the reserve container on the bigger reserves. A K-xx no problem but anything bigger was possibly an issue. I can't remember if Silly still owned Sky Supplies or someone else when they moved pins. T. K. Donle might remember. Then again memory is iffy on all of us from the 80's. I do remember Alan Gencarelli (sp?) coming in to fix the Singer harness machine.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

The closing loops were anchored to the top (outside) flap. When the pins were pulled, the pilot chute had to push through all the flaps like most rigs but that top flap having to pull the loops through the packjob added a good deal of resistance. There were some table totals and a lot of the time the pilot chute would just lazily stand up in the container. Very few actually jumped out like you would want to see.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Yes I know, I built them. That was what I meant by " the loops coming through the reserve container on the bigger reserves."

Most of the table totals were on bigger reserves. I never had an issue on reserves like the K-xx, because they were so small the closing loops were very short.

Bruno
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

jonstark

***I'm center bottom, light blue and white Mirage (old style), white FliteSuit.

Photo by Rick Snow.

Recognize anybody else?

Dave in Fargo

Derek Thomas was in your left hand and Connie Simpson had his right foot.

Jon

That might be Tom Pirus on the point in the lower right. And MAYBE Claire Bear in his left hand?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

******I'm center bottom, light blue and white Mirage (old style), white FliteSuit.

Photo by Rick Snow.

Recognize anybody else?

Dave in Fargo

Derek Thomas was in your left hand and Connie Simpson had his right foot.

Jon

That might be Tom Pirus on the point in the lower right. And MAYBE Claire Bear in his left hand?

I'm almost positive that isn't Pirus because he was planning the two upcoming 60 ways. I remember Derek on the left. Dude across from me was a dentist-to-be who just graduated from U of Arizona. I was on a pickup team that competed against him at the '83 collegiate nationals in Marana.

Dave

Hey Jon. I was searching around for the 90 way and yes it was Easter Boogie Deland, Jump #3, April 21,1984.

Question: Was that an official world record? I have no certificate for that one? Logbook note of 2.8 seconds, so in spite of the Norm Kent photo I have, it was a time bust...I think.