Krip

Who jumped in the most number of decades

I'd bet Bob Sinclair has been jumping as long as anybody. About ten years ago, I made some loads with him at Lost Prairie. Here was this grizzled looking old guy, wearing a T-shirt. no jump suit, and no goggles, heading for the door. Then I saw him again jumping in Arizona. I hope he's doing okay. I've heard he might have serious health issues now, or he'd still be jumping somewhere....

Hi Steve

So if someone started jumping way back in the day, like the 30s and counting using both hands.

Maybe 9 is the max. :ph34r: but the qustion is who. They have to be somwhere in their 80s or 90s. Not really old just older.

OLD is a bitch and its contagious.:D

Time for my nappy.

One Jump Wonder

jimjumper

I'm thinking that Bob Sinclair might be in the running, but you'd have ask him when he started. I remember him telling me he taught his first student in '43 or '44 and he was barnstorming before that.

Hi JJ

Sounds like Bob Sinclair is a possibility. But I'm not the referee.

I'm wondering if there isn't some german, russian, brit, or french person that may have Mr Sinclairs unofficial doesn't mean anything record beat.

Boobies:ph34r:

selfish self bump:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

I've met Lew Sanborn, and he looked older than dirt even back in the mid 90's. But, you know, just because he's D-1, doesn't mean he was the first to reach 200 jumps. All it means is that his application was the first one to get processed and there were what, a few hundred that rushed in when USPA announced their licensing system?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I've met Lew Sanborn, and he looked older than dirt even back in the mid 90's. But, you know, just because he's D-1, doesn't mean he was the first to reach 200 jumps. All it means is that his application was the first one to get processed and there were what, a few hundred that rushed in when USPA announced their licensing system?

Actually there was a drawing for D1 & D2.

That said...I would think someone that made a jump in the 40's and continued on until this decade would be 'in the running' so to speak. I don't know when Lew made his first jump, but I know a guy that jumped on D-day and made his last jump a couple years ago. He now unfortunately has dementia - but that's what, 8 different decades Ole Jack made a leap in.

I don't think he's the only one...and I find it hard to believe someone currently jumping would make 9.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

Nope. As told to me directly by Jacques Instel ( D-2 ) in 1965; they ( together ) made the decision that Lew would get D-1 because Lew was doing a lot more competing than Jacques was.

Nothing more than that.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

Nope. As told to me directly by Jacques Instel ( D-2 ) in 1965; they ( together ) made the decision that Lew would get D-1 because Lew was doing a lot more competing than Jacques was.

Nothing more than that.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry ~

I remember Lew telling me there was a drawing, coin flip or something between the two... and he got #1 D, but Jacques got some other #1?

Old guys...what ya gonna do?! ;)

Found this...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1689095#1689095

...and this rather interesting tidbit of history! B|:D
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1763458#1763458

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

According to what I heard, Nate Pond asked for (and got) D69

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy,

Nate Pond asked for (and got) D69

Yup, 'back in the day' anyone could request any number for any level license that had not been taken.

That practice ended sometime in the late '60's.

Then Jerry Roulliard, who was working in the USPA office, stayed up until midnight processing D-license applications until D-2000 came up & he grabbed it for himself.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mr T

Me bad if I can remember or someone else wants to start a new thread.

The question should be how many decade's have you jumped in.

After us older jumpers are gone its going take a long time for people to say they jumped in two different centuries. :ph34r:

Don't mean nothing anyway.

I doubt any of us will reach 3 centuries unless we can try and get someones great great grandson who isnt born yet to take us on a ash dive.:S

R

One Jump Wonder

I am not sure which decades you refer to. I jumped when I was in my 20s, my 30s,my 40s,my 50s,my 60s,my 70s, AND MY 80S, WHICH WOULD BE 7 DECADES, BUT HAVING STARTED IN 1962, i JUMPED IN THE 1960S, 1970S,1980S,1990S,2000, 2005 TO 2010, TO 2013 TAKE YOUR PICK,

Bill Cole D-41 Canada , aka chuteless #2 and #3.