adp1723

First to skydive all 7 continents?

adp1723

I'm sure it's been done, but I can't find any info on the first person to skydive on all seven continents...anyone know?

I would say the number of jumps in Antarctica would be somewhat low... with a statistically high injury and fatality rate.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/South+Pole+skydive+turns+to+tragedy%3b+Three+die+in+bid+to+make+history.-a060987727

You have to remember that the South Pole is at 9300 feet+ but what kind of density altitude would you have there at 40 below zero :ph34r: might make for smoking landings.. not to mention the all white stuff which makes it a bitch too.

Amazon

I would say the number of jumps in Antarctica would be somewhat low... with a statistically high injury and fatality rate.

You have to remember that the South Pole is at 9300 feet+ but what kind of density altitude would you have there at 40 below zero might make for smoking landings.. not to mention the all white stuff which makes it a bitch too.

The Antarctic continent is a lot bigger than most people realise, and certainly isn't defined only by the South Pole. Parts of it are even outside the Antarctic Circle. It can be very pleasant in summer, and there are plenty of ice-free areas at sea level to land, no reason why it couldn't be jumped.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

You have to remember that the South Pole is at 9300 feet+ but what kind of density altitude would you have there at 40 below zero might make for smoking landings.. not to mention the all white stuff which makes it a bitch too.

The Antarctic continent is a lot bigger than most people realise, and certainly isn't defined only by the South Pole. Parts of it are even outside the Antarctic Circle. It can be very pleasant in summer, and there are plenty of ice-free areas at sea level to land, no reason why it couldn't be jumped.

Reallly???

I would never have guessed that:ph34r:

Amazon

Reallly???

I would never have guessed that:ph34r:

Are you making fun of me? On the off chance that you weren't, yes, really. When I wrote "pleasant", I meant, "above freezing", which is totally jumpable. But if Antarctica were a country, only Russia would be larger, and there are some nice ice-free beach areas along the peninsula that could be landed safely.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I've just been informed that this kind of thing is your specialty and that you were indeed making fun of me. :P Oh well, maybe somebody else didn't know.

JeffCa

It can be very pleasant in summer, and there are plenty of ice-free areas at sea level to land, no reason why it couldn't be jumped.

A long time ago, late '60s or early '70s, I made radio contact with McMurdo Station via amateur radio. During the contact the operator told me that a parachute jump was planned within the next few days. A week or so later I was informed that a few Navy personnel made a jump near the South Pole.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

JeffCa

I've just been informed that this kind of thing is your specialty and that you were indeed making fun of me. :P Oh well, maybe somebody else didn't know.

I have actually been there Jeff:) ...and almost got a year long gig at the SA station not so long ago;) I was trying to figure out how I would get an Otter driver or the 130 guys to take off and slide the troop door up and just let me out over the station.:ph34r:

There really does need to be a sarcasm Icon on here.

Amazon

***I've just been informed that this kind of thing is your specialty and that you were indeed making fun of me. :P Oh well, maybe somebody else didn't know.

I have actually been there Jeff:) ...and almost got a year long gig at the SA station not so long ago;) I was trying to figure out how I would get an Otter driver or the 130 guys to take off and slide the troop door up and just let me out over the station.:ph34r:

I've been there, too. Just as a visitor, along the coast of the peninsula.

I was pretty sure you were making fun of me, but wasn't sure why, if you knew better, you were leaving in the thread for posterity that Antarctica jumps would involve severe ice, elevation, etc. So it couldn't have hurt to post and clear it up.

JeffCa

******I've just been informed that this kind of thing is your specialty and that you were indeed making fun of me. :P Oh well, maybe somebody else didn't know.

I've been there, too. Just as a visitor, along the coast of the peninsula.

I was pretty sure you were making fun of me, but wasn't sure why, if you knew better, you were leaving in the thread for posterity that Antarctica jumps would involve severe ice, elevation, etc. So it couldn't have hurt to post and clear it up.

Ever done any of those jumps yet?

Jumping over snow and ice... interesting stuff and most of Antarctica has a wee bit of it.

Jumped at altitude yet??? Another interesting thing for those who are used to sea level. I think I might have mentioned that before.. Now if you are planning a DZ at McMurdo... no elevation issues to worry about.. but your snow free time is pretty darn limited. There are the dry valleys.. but you might run afoul of scientists who like their pet rocks and limited flora just as they are.. do not disturb.

Why so hung up on the elevated areas in the interior and jumping at altitude? Why make it more difficult than it has to be?

There are ice-free areas and above-freezing temperatures, at sea level, on the peninsula for a good part of the southern summer. Even beaches to land on (photo attached, just clear the penguins for a bit or find your own spot!). It's the Antarctic continent, but is not even south of the circle. I'd think the most difficult part would be the logistics of getting the plane overhead, not the jumping conditions. Best idea might be to get a helicopter from one of the tourist ships and do a hop-n-pop out of it. It's not a viable commercial activity, but for somebody with sponsorship and permission, entirely possible.

JeffCa

Why so hung up on the elevated areas in the interior and jumping at altitude? Why make it more difficult than it has to be?

There are ice-free areas and above-freezing temperatures, at sea level, on the peninsula for a good part of the southern summer. Even beaches to land on (photo attached, just clear the penguins for a bit or find your own spot!). It's the Antarctic continent, but is not even south of the circle. I'd think the most difficult part would be the logistics of getting the plane overhead, not the jumping conditions. Best idea might be to get a helicopter from one of the tourist ships and do a hop-n-pop out of it. It's not a viable commercial activity, but for somebody with sponsorship and permission, entirely possible.

Yeah.. its that permission thing... NSF is not the most open minded group for anything outside their lines for those folks. [:/]