skypuppy

tandem rw

someone mentioned tandem rw in another post, and it got me thinking. I thought I'd seen a picture, maybe on Parachutist cover, of an eight-way built with 4 tandems drogue-less (ie 4 tandem masters hooked up, each with passengers).

I think they might have been the Golden Knights. Or it could have been in skydiving magazine. Anybody have a copy of this mag and can post a scan?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

No, it's better than that: The German military used to send out a picture/poster every year of their exploits. One had a formation of at least eight tandem pairs docked in a star. It may have been that same pic that had all of them with roller skates on!

You can't make that shit up, kids.

Chuck

We built an eight-way around a tandem once. That is small doings compared to multiple tandems in a formation.

That tandem master had his drogue out, and it was his passenger's first jump. I imagine it would be very hard or impossible for a tandem to fly very far with a drogue. I imagine it could be done if you had experienced passengers and no drogue out.

Hi steve,

We did the same thing at a boogie in Madras, OR.

The TI only insisted that people he knew gripped directly onto him, one on each side. Then we could come in and close as we wanted.

The tandem student was a very experienced jump pilot so he sort of knew what to expect.

JerryBaumchen